LPro: Should I get the box or download from the App Store?

thedivisionbell

Hey guys.

I've been trying to get a Logic Studio upgrade from Express box for a few months now, hard to find round in India :(

And suddenly I'm looking for a discontinued product which is now a stripped down and download-only "app" :shock:

So now I'm confused. The cost of the upgrade and of downloading LP+Mainstage is nearly the same - at least, the difference is minimal - so should I be looking for the Studio box to get STP and Waveburner and Compressor or should I just get LP off the App Store?

It boils down to how useful STP, Waveburner and Compressor are, and whether I'm going to actually use them or not.

I use Logic to compose, record, mix and master my music. Just like the promos say :D I write progressive, rock, blues, jazz and instrumentals.

Thanks for the answer, shivermetimbers, but I've seen that link already. And I've decided to upgrade for the extra plugins and synths Logic Studio/Pro has to offer, especially convolution reverb and the mastering plugins - because buying them third-party will cost me four times as much.

I don't really need the TDM, 7.1 and Node support - yet.

My question initially was whether to get Logic Pro/Mainstage from the App Store or the Logic Studio box set, since I'm gonna be paying the same amount for both of them.

My question initially was whether to get Logic Pro/Mainstage from the App Store or the Logic Studio box set, since I'm gonna be paying the same amount for both of them.

Your call.

However: the new MainStage 2.2 is only available in the App Store. The box contains the older 2.1 version. But for $30 it is not really an issue.

Perhaps I just needed to confirm that my self-answer was indeed right :mrgreen:

But now that the Apple guys have(sadly) dropped it for the future, won't its support and stuff be doubtful? ...

Dropped it for the future? This is the first I've heard of that - where'd you hear it?

Actually, I assumed that since it hasn't made it to the App Store along with Mainstage and Logic Pro, it's pretty much dropped. Some news articles say the same thing: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/12/logic-pro-coming-to-mac-app-store-logic-express-dropped-in-the-shuffle.ars

...However, fans of Soundtrack Pro—designed to create background music and sound effects for Final Cut Pro projects—may be disappointed to learn that the app won't be coming to the Mac App Store. (It didn't make the cut in the transition from Final Cut Studio to Final Cut Pro X, either.) On the upside, its functionality is already included in Final Cut Pro X, and can in some cases be replaced by features added to GarageBand or Logic Pro itself....

Perhaps I was jumping to conclusions..? Will they continue selling Soundtrack, regardless?

Your call.

However: the new MainStage 2.2 is only available in the App Store.

Thanks, mmm42, for the info. But like you said, it isn't really an issue.

Apparently all boxed versions have been re-called to Apple. Good luck finding one.

I think this is ultimately going to be very bad for Logic. Sure you can buy a mac, a duet and now logic through apple. Maybe even some M-Audio Av 40s. But the folks who want more advanced systems, the ensembles, rosettas, symphonies or other interfaces, maybe Focal or Adam monitors, more pro advice, they don't go to Apple for this, and Apple and their pseudo baristas posing as computer experts can't offer the advice these people need. Sales guys at the stores will push more people toward stuff they sell, Cubase, Pro Tools. It's kind of the end for Logic as a pro solution. It's really too bad, because I like Logic.

Apparently all boxed versions have been re-called to Apple. Good luck finding one.

I think this is ultimately going to be very bad for Logic. Sure you can buy a mac, a duet and now logic through apple. Maybe even some M-Audio Av 40s. But the folks who want more advanced systems, the ensembles, rosettas, symphonies or other interfaces, maybe Focal or Adam monitors, more pro advice, they don't go to Apple for this, and Apple and their pseudo baristas posing as computer experts can't offer the advice these people need. Sales guys at the stores will push more people toward stuff they sell, Cubase, Pro Tools. It's kind of the end for Logic as a pro solution. It's really too bad, because I like Logic.

i dunno; it's 2012. who doesn't shop online, or at least research product before they buy?

you can still go somewhere and hear monitors, for instance. but if the app store is the place to get logic, so be it. won't make me buy m-audio monitors at an apple store...

Perhaps that's why it's taking me months to find it. I've been looking since mid-October.

The whole App Store thing did make me feel disappointed, especially the psychological factor - we're now using an "app" that retails alongside stuff like Rail Maze.

It actually does make sense for Logic to be sold online, in a way, because online distribution is the future - but looking at FCPX, the move does send a shiver or two down my spine. Perhaps they won't muck it up, but sometimes I wonder what is the future really for the Logic platform. Like you said, it might be the end of Logic as a studio DAW.

Anyways, thanks guitarman11385 and fisherking for your insightful replies. I'll try my best to get my hands on a box.