System Overloads on a MacBook Pro

kobold

Hi,

In the last 12 months I've switched over a number of sessions from my Mac Pro to my MacBook Pro (since I need the Mac Pro for heavy 3D work). I've been getting a LOT of system overload messages on the MacBook Pro (2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM). These are occurring in almost all tracks now. It seems like Logic isn't properly loading the files into cache or something, since after I get one or two overloads in the session, everything functions fine (no overloads after I get the one or two initial ones after loading the session). This is leading me to think that something funky is occurring, after all, why is it overloading at a spot when there is a 1/5th CPU usage and when an instance of LinPlug Alpha (low CPU load) comes up, or some other synth, I get the overload message, but then it works fine after restarting the session. Make sense? Thoughts? Maybe a fresh install of Logic?

Thanks!

1453749370_ScreenShot2011-11-23at9_54_29PM.png.88b8fed592763e66dc1629cf22097748.png

It is a fine line to have a system overload or not.

Maybe you can add a screenshot of the Arrange-window of one of the sessions which inflict this,

so that we can see how many tracks you are using, what kind of plugins and how many of them.

I think this would help.

1. What is your exact Logic version? Nine point what point what? And are you stil on 10.6.2?

2. I'd recommend updating to at least 10.6.4.

The behaviour you report is inherent in the design of Logic and has (reportedly) always been like this. The buffers are being filled during the first run, a process that can induce an overload. During the second and subsequent runs, the buffers are already filled, so there's a bit less strain on the CPU, so there's no overload.

And that this happens on your MBP is no surprise, since the projects were made on a more powerful Mac Pro, that probably has enough muscle to do that first buffering run without overloading.

So, nothing's broken really. If you absolutely insist, I may find you that post where one of the Logic veterans (probably Ski - again :roll:) explains this. Or you can take my word for it. Or someone else can chime in. Ah, so many options...

Anyway, hope this helps.

:)

Thanks for the replies. I'm running Logic 9.1.6 on Lion 10.7.2.

In the attached screenshot, you can see there are only 9 tracks playing prior to my overload. 8 are soft synths and the other is an audio track. I guess I'm just a little surprised to spike after going from 1/5 or 1/4 of CPU load to 100% with the addition of an instance of Albino 3.

637778102_ScreenShot2012-01-07at7_11_55PM.thumb.png.0787ae6d54486c69d90eba803f81d37a.png

1787631086_ScreenShot2012-01-07at7_12_27PM.thumb.png.017534af3b3eb72cb5b6f95219ad9a01.png