External Inst Midi question

elastic

Hi,

i've connected my Moog to inputs 5/6 on my audio interface, then in logic i've created an instrument track and selected 'external instrument'.

Here's my settings -

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp240/tom4040/ScreenShot2012-01-07at155350.png

My problem is that when i go to another midi track in logic, it plays it BUT it also is still playing my moog sound.

I was just wondering what needs to be done so that i only hear what track is currently selected?

thank you for any help and advice,

Tom

Well yes, obviously if i solo any other midi track other than my moog then i only hear the solo'd track, but i can't work like that!

It should be like normal - whatever track is selected in the arrange area is what you hear - as i say, at the moment, whatever track i select i hear that track AND the moog.

Yes Steve, i'm using it as my main keyboard too for playing my other midi tracks.

I did try specifying a midi channel (1), as it says in the moog manual that it outputs on 1 - i checked in the moog settings on the synth itself and it's set to 1, so i went to logic and on the 'external instrument' track, i changed midi channel to 1 - but still no joy.

all my other midi channels for the other interment tracks are set to 'all'

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp240/tom4040/ScreenShot2012-01-07at193752.png

Oh, I didn't mean you should have to do that, just that last time I used external MIDI gear with Logic was version 4.5, which didn't have the External Instrument insert-thingy.

I just noticed that your External Instrument was set to all channels, which made me think that was why the Moog was playing whatever track was record-armed.

But, reading back I'm not sure if that is exactly what is happening. When you say that you select a track and the Moog keeps playing, does it play the notes on the selected track, or does it continue to play what's on its own track?

EDIT: just saw your reply, did changing the midi channel not help?

Yes Steve, i'm using it as my main keyboard too for playing my other midi tracks.

Opps, that must be the cherry of the cake... You need to go to the midi settings of your keyboard and switch the "Local Control" to OFF.

In this scenario you can use your keyboard as a midi controller. If the Local Control is ON then the keyboard outputs ins own audio which comes thru the 5-6 audio inputs v.s the Software Instrument external instrument plugin does mater which track is selected. The selected track provide midi thru only for the incoming midi. So the issue is - you have both midi and audio paths outgoing from your synth.

If set the "Local Control" to OFF then you can use your keyboard as a midi controller and a midi device and the External Instrument track will work as expected if it is selected.

Edit. I'm sorry for the duplicated reply (Local Control reply), my browser did not show the posts till the end obviously so I could not see that it was replied....