Logic Pro 9 book issue: Lesson 7, p. 278-279

Cone

Possible issue regarding "Logic Pro 9 and Logic Express 9" by David Nahmani:

Lesson 7, pages 278-279: Make an Audio File Match the Project Tempo

When I create a new stereo audio track for the tambourine part, and then drag Tambourine.aif from the browser, I get a 100-bar-long audio region with two short tambourine sections and one long, with silence around them. It's like the file was the complete bounced audio of the track. It also plays in project tempo without Flex mode.

If you drop the file on bar 1 (instead of bar 29 as suggested), the tambourine sections seem to match the song choruses (bars 29, 61 and the longer one at bar 81). However, with this behavior, copying the part to other choruses does not go as described in Step 7 on page 279. This might confuse some readers, unless I'm doing something wrong. What do you think?

The audio file, as it came from the DVD, is 4.9 MB, but when you preview it in the Logic Pro browser (or Quicktime Player), it plays for only 18 seconds from start to finish, and with a slower tempo than the project. Dropped into the project it expands to those 100 bars, without any Flex settings applied.

I've experienced that issue as well, it is a bug in newer versions of Logic (the book was written and tested with Logic 9.0 which did not exhibit that behavior). Instead of using the file you're importing, Logic automatically uses another file (of the same name) located in the project audio bin.

Try that:

First, locate the file "Tambourine.aif" in the project's audio bin. Delete it and empty your computer's trash.

Then try dragging import the other Tambourine.aif file again, as explained on step 4 page 278.

Let me know how that works for you?

Thanks so much for confirming this. The workaround you suggested was effective, so thanks for that too. I hope you report bugs like these to Apple as you find them -- I would have thought it was a problem with the media file, rather than a regression in Logic.

Just to note: the file Tambourine.aif actually has a leading space in its name. You can also see this in the screenshot on page 126; it appears first in the File Browser because of that.

Just to note: the file Tambourine.aif actually has a leading space in its name. You can also see this in the screenshot on page 126; it appears first in the File Browser because of that.

Yes, this is on purpose.

OK then... I couldn't figure out why, so I thought it was a rare error :)