No audible response from volume automation

drake

This is my first post on the forum. I just got logic 9.0 set up on my Macbook. I am using a Presonus Firepod as my interface and this is my first attempt to record and I'll say that the software is pretty intimidating, even without all of the problems I am having.

The foremost of these problems is that I cannot get automation to work on my tracks. I have a rhythm guitar track that I like but I want to cut it out a measure early so I'd like to fade it out instead of redoing it. I drew the automation as I would like it to sound but when I hit play it does not effect the audio of the track at all (It is set to Read). The fader in the software adjusts but it still sounds the same.

I've read about SMPTE (whatever that is) causing automation issues when it is set before the song actually starts but I went to Settings>Synchronization and under bar position it says "1_1_1_1 Plays at SMPTE 01:00:00;00.00" and I believe that is correct. My song clicks two bars before the start of the song but I doubt thats the issue.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a sync issue with my interface? Thanks

SMPTE has nothing to do with this issue. Unless you're syncing to video or doing film scoring you really don't need to be concerned at all with SMPTE. However, judging by the fact that your timecode readout says "01:00:00;00.00" you've adjusted something (the semicolon is the giveaway). But that aside, you don't need to worry about SMPTE.

The most important thing you can do is to go into your automation preferences and set the "sample accurate" preference to the third choice in the menu, "volume, plugins, sends". That's really important to get reliability, predictability, and accuracy out of automation.

The most important thing you can do is to go into your automation preferences and set the "sample accurate" preference to the third choice in the menu, "volume, plugins, sends". That's really important to get reliability, predictability, and accuracy out of automation.

Good to know. I'll make sure to keep it set there.

It could be.

So you're saying you see the automation make the fader move, but you don't hear the volume change. Can you solo a single track and verify that for one single track? What about the meters on the channel strip, do you see them go down as the fader goes down?

When I solo the track, the automation appears to affect the meters but I can hear it even when the meter shows nothing.