Let The Bass Drop

Ok we are in the studio, working on a new house track and I just would like to educate myself about some of the techniques my favorite forum thinks about mixing bass with drums. For starters, does a bass track typically get set in MONO. Seems like you get a better warmth , in mono but that's just my opinion. When you girls or guys get ready to drop the bass, what are some things that come into mind that are super important. How big is EQ? Sometimes I like to view my EQ in my drums and see which levels I have peaking and possible do the opposite on the bass track. There are many different trys and tests you can do and it really just comes down to what you think sounds best, but I though this subject would get everyone's blood pumping let alone bass dropping.

You said you were making a house track so I guessed you are referring to a synth bassline in which case if your track has the bassline as the main element then a bit of stereo effect on the mids can really push the bass out into your face, but generally the lows should always be pinned to the middle.

An example of this can be heard in illamerica by wolfgang gartner notice the sub is mono but the bassline is stereo. Ok this track is a bit of a poor example as the bassline could be classed as the lead synth but its just an example of what a "stereo" bassline can sound like. Another producer who does this is Porter Robinson, in fact listen to any "electro" or "complextro" producer and you will probably hear it.

What I have noticed Porter Robinson does a lot is use contrast between mono and stereo so you will have a phrase where it is mono and then conclude with a stereo sound, thats how the music seems to jump out at you every other bar or whatever.

I know you can't say that there is ever a hard and fast rule when it comes to music but I would never use a sub in anything other than mono. That being said when I am referring to "stereo" I do not mean panned off center, this will really throw the mix in a house track.