clipping in stereo out [SOLVED]

born_hard

I dont get it.

Everything seems just fine with the limiter settings and all level settings. in the limiter itself it does not overshoot -0,1dbfs , BUT in the channel fader itself in the display itm pekas around 4 db. Its also curious that i cant here digital clipping !

Look in the attachement please!

Screenshot.thumb.jpg.fafb8d07a42bab8e233320332fb7c7bc.jpg

But still, guys, that master fader setting cannot be responsible for the + 4.2 reading on the stereo out channel strip, and I believe that was the question...? Or can it? Is the Master fader actually before the Stereo Output in the signal flow...? :?

OK, need to verify that I guess... as per Triplets advice, I never touch the Mster fader, so I'm not sure where it sits in the signal chain... I'd expect it to be the very last, so that it doen not alter the Stereo Output level meter...

OK, well, I checked, and indeed altering the master fader alters the Stereo Output levels, so the master fader is actually situated before the Stereo Out in the signal chain... :? good to know, for future reference... but confusing nonetheless...

Ah, OK... but though I do know what a VCA is, I'm not sure what a VCA fader is...

ok, Google... I think I get it now.* The master fader sort "goes over the head" of all other faders and directly reduces or multiplies all output signals in the "main amplifier". so it is not really "in" the signal chain, but "over" the signal chain... and that makes it crystal clear as to why it is essential for multi output surround.

Thanks, Eric!

* http://www.recordinginstitute.com/y2kplus/ARP/ssla.html

But still, guys, that master fader setting cannot be responsible for the + 4.2 reading on the stereo out channel strip, and I believe that was the question...? Or can it? Is the Master fader actually before the Stereo Output in the signal flow...? :?

Yes, the master fader is responsible for the + 4.2 on the Stereo Output Channel Strip. The master fader channel strip is not really a channel strip like the others: when working in stereo, no audio flows through the master fader. The MF simply applies an offset on the gain applied by the faders on ALL output channel strips.

Example:

Stereo Output fader set to 0 dB

Master fader set to +6 dB

... is the equivalent of...

Stereo Output fader set to +6 dB

Master fader set to 0 dB

Gain applied at the output of any output channel strip = Gain applied by the fader on that channel strip + Gain applied by the master fader

Hope that helps.

• 12 years later...

Hey all, digging up an old topic here, because I'm having a similar issue which is not caused by the solution in this thread (although that's definitely happened to me before as well). 

Nothing is clipping without the adaptive limiter on the stereo bus, but as soon as I add it with some gain, we get clipping during the snare hits, even if the Out ceiling is set as low as -1dB. What are some alternative probable causes of this issue? 

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 11.16.59.png

1 hour ago, Jonas Fonn said:

Nothing is clipping without the adaptive limiter on the stereo bus, but as soon as I add it with some gain, we get clipping during the snare hits, even if the Out ceiling is set as low as -1dB. What are some alternative probable causes of this issue? 

You have Input Monitoring buttons turned on. The clipping you're seeing on the Stereo Out is likely produced by that signal coming from those live inputs. Disable both "I" buttons on those two channel strips. 

Thanks, but I think I (kind of) found out what was causing the clipping: Low latency mode was on. Now, why that would cause clipping I'm not sure of, but I guess some real-time processing in the adaptive limiter was disabled. 

2 minutes ago, Jonas Fonn said:

Low latency mode was on. Now, why that would cause clipping I'm not sure of, but I guess some real-time processing in the adaptive limiter was disabled. 

Yes, the tracks that are input-monitored were not going through the Adaptive Limiter, to avoid them adding latency. 

22 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Yes, the tracks that are input-monitored were not going through the Adaptive Limiter, to avoid them adding latency. 

You're right, after turning input monitoring off on those tracks while low-latency mode remained on, there was no more clipping. I still don't understand why this would cause clipping even when I wasn't playing those input-monitored instruments during playback, but I'm happy to get the gist of it. 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, Jonas Fonn said:

I still don't understand why this would cause clipping even when I wasn't playing those input-monitored instruments during playback, but I'm happy to get the gist of it.

When the Input Monitoring button is engaged, you're summing both the live input and the audio regions on that track and routing that signal to the Stereo Out. Because you're in Low Latency mode, that audio signal (the sum of input + audio regions) is not routed through the adaptive limiter, which would otherwise add latency. 

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

When the Input Monitoring button is engaged, you're summing both the live input and the audio regions on that track and routing that signal to the Stereo Out. Because you're in Low Latency mode, that audio signal (the sum of input + audio regions) is not routed through the adaptive limiter, which would otherwise add latency. 

That makes sense, thank you! Good to know.

• Like 1