Fix Logic's MIDI Workflow?

Xandula

Was wondering, does anyone know it there are plans to update Logics midi workflow --- Logic has some beautiful and unique instruments and effects, but every time I start editing midi I feel like I'm back in the dark ages. As far as I can tell, you can use the number keys as shortcuts to the various tools, but I'm using a laptop which doesn't have the number keys --- but it's not even necessary --- all you need is the pointer --- point at the beginning of a note to move it, in the middle to change velocity, at the end to change note length --- highlight/lasso the notes you want and use the arrow keys to move them --- seems to be standard in other programs these days

I wouldn't say that Logic is in the dark ages with regards to editing midi, far from it. But there's always going to be a different way of doing things in another DAW, fact of life. Logic has a bazzilion key commands that are all about personalizing your workflow. Open the key command window and check out what's in there and then get to know the ones that pertain to the kind of things you do regularly. Some handy search terms - "toggle", "select", "nudge" etc. And have a good look at the key commands available in the Edit and Function menus in the Piano Roll.

For editing in the piano roll, check out the tool palette in the upper right of that window, where you can set frequently used tools, like velocity, to work with modifier keys. The more comprehensive tool palette is available from the escape key.

The kind of things you mentioned are easy to do. Yep, grabbing the note end will lengthen it. And there's a whack of nudge commands for moving notes in specific increments like quarter notes, bars and so on. AFAIK, the Logic nudge commands are more extensive than most programs. You'll have to find the ones that work for you.

A few key commands and shortcuts that I find useful....

Select all forward

Play from selection

Note overlap correction

resizing notes:

make a selected group of notes all end at the same point by Shift-dragging the note ends.

make a selected group of notes all exactly the same length by Option-Shift dragging their ends.

Some links....

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=23%26section=2%26hash=apple_ref:doc:uid:TempBookID-ReplacedWhenAssociatingWithMessierRevision-43984PIA_SC_0819-1010102

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=23%26section=3%26hash=apple_ref:doc:uid:TempBookID-ReplacedWhenAssociatingWithMessierRevision-43984PIA_SC_0819-1010355

I'm using a laptop which doesn't have the number keys

:shock: All laptops have number keys!

FWIW, I do a lot of MIDI programming in Logic and never use number keys, and rarely switch tools as you can do just about anything you want with the pencil and velocity tools: select, insert, resize, insert and resize (in a single action), delete, move, copy, adjust the velocity...

but it's not even necessary --- all you need is the pointer

Ok... so what's the problem exactly? Maybe I'm missing something, but I do not see a question in your post, nor do I see the description of anything problematic?

you can do just about anything you want with the pencil and velocity tools: select, insert, resize, insert and resize, (in a single action)

That's fantastic! Don't know how many times I've done it the slow way, (if there's no other short notes around to copy their length from first) by penciling in a note and then searching for it's end point to drag it back.

--- all you need is the pointer --- point at the beginning of a note to move it

Pointing at the beginning of a note in Logic alters the starting point of it in the Piano Roll editor. Grabbing it in the middle will let you move it. How do you alter a notes start position in other DAWs?

in the middle to change velocity,

Grab anywhere you want, but press Control and Command first to alter velocity.

at the end to change note length

That works in Logic as well.

highlight/lasso the notes you want and use the arrow keys to move them

I use Option + arrow keys in Logic to move them. Arrows without modifiers selects next/previous event.

I agree with David, you mainly need to use only one tool. If you work in a situation where you're going to enter a lot of notes, you can make the pencil your main tool (for that window), assign the regular arrow to the Command key, and use it in the situations where you need to rubber band several notes. (Selecting multiple notes can also be done with key commands). The good news is that if you use the Pencil tool as your main tool, all the above features will keep working.

Grab anywhere you want, but press Control and Command first to alter velocity.

I can't get this to work properly :cry: I get the little velocity "v" when I press Control and Command, but as soon as I start clicking and dragging, it moves the Logic window and I can see whatever's behind it....like it becomes a window-grabbing tool (and it applies to all windows in OSX).

Any ideas? http://statics.soniccdn.com/images/smilies/estonova.gif

J.

Works fine on mine, too. Jordito

:evil:

once you're over the note and press CTRL+CMD, do you drag up or down or sideways? Doing it up or down with the mouse is working fine here...

Thanks, I'm draggging up and down with a mouse, tried with the laptop's trackpad, the same...no go.

BTW, great emoticon, screaming at the computer!!

I'm still screaming! :lol: :cry:

J.

Not sure if this is gonna help or not, but the mouse pointer has to be actually hovering over a note in order for it to turn into the V tool. So...

Holding CMD+CNTRL:

• pointer not hovering over note = whatever tool is assigned to the CMD key

• pointer hovering over note = V tool

How about the Exposé settings?

Thanks Eric, but Exposé is completely unexposed in this computer.

I'm stumped with this one, I'll just let it go.

J.

Have you tried trashing the exposé pref file. Maybe something is corrupted?

You should also take a look at these files:

com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist

com.apple.systempreferences.plist

We'll get through this :) I have a friend who also uses Logic and i get crazy when i'm at his computer. A lot of key commands doesn't work because he uses Spaces. So, if you also use Spaces, have you looked the shortcuts there. Maybe some conflicts come from there? I don't know if they're the same than in the "global" Pref settings for shortcuts...

Blink

Not sure if this is gonna help or not, but the mouse pointer has to be actually hovering over a note in order for it to turn into the V tool. So...

Holding CMD+CNTRL:

Thanks Ski, but like I said before, I do get the "V" when I hover over notes while holding down Control and Command.

I'll look into Eric's suggestions.

Blink, I don't use Spaces.

Thanks all.

J.

Holding CMD+CNTRL:

Thanks Ski, but like I said before, I do get the "V" when I hover over notes while holding down Control and Command.

I'll look into Eric's suggestions.

Blink, I don't use Spaces.

Thanks all.

J.

I'm pretty sure that com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist is where the keys get stored.

Thanks for chiming in, CCT.

Eric, I move that file to the desktop and logged out just in case. The problem persists.

I should probably say that the window doesn't move out of the way like it would with Exposé, what happens is that i can grab the whole window and move it around, just like you do when you click and drag on the upper part of any window in OS X.

J.

I should probably say that the window doesn't move out of the way like it would with Exposé, what happens is that i can grab the whole window and move it around, just like you do when you click and drag on the upper part of any window in OS X.

J.

Ok... then forget what I said earlier.

Do you use BetterTouchTool, Zooom/2 or something else for your trackpad?