Sequencing Rhythm Guitar

Blackthorn

It takes work and dedication, let me tell you.

To make a MIDI guitar sound more realistic (and we all know you can only take it so far), I usually use the following tricks:

• Learn the basic guitar fingerings. It will only sound like a guitar if it could be played on a guitar. I am lucky, I am a guitar player. (Then why would I sequence MIDI guitars you ask? That's another topic...)

• Move your notes: when playing rythm guitar, the guitarist will stroke downward and/or upward depending on the groove being played. Usually, downbeats are downward. On an downward stroke, place the lowest note on the beat and delay all consecutive notes to emulate the time it takes for the guitarist's pick to reach the next string...

• Don't be afraid to play with velocity. The first note of a chord you hit is usually the strongest. The downstrokes are stronger. Play with large, large ranges of velocity, you can always compress the audio later. Also, each chord should sound different.

• Run the audio in a Guitar Amp Pro! Maybe sometimes a compressor and EQ.

717219024_LogicPro007.jpg.a24de61b6f023388fc84db3ce56ff707.jpg

• 6 years later...
I found this thread searching the web for strumming guitar in Logic 9. I found a bunch of urls and one I saw was Real Guitar. $199.00 ! Bing the light went on in my head. "Real Guitar" where have I heard that before, Oh Yea my Garageband on my iPod "Right" so I popped it open,(turned it on) went to garage band app. Real guitar! "Hey Mom I'm strumming a guitar!" I'm saving it out as a GarageBand.band file. Then bringing it into Logic 9. Holy Cow it works!!! This is the answer for me as to getting a strummed guitar in Logic 9. Strummed the way I like it as a midi region and not a loop. Hope this helps someone who needs a strummed guitar. Of course you need GarageBand IOS. for iPad, iPod or iPhone. That's it over and out. Bob