Substitue Decibels for Ratios?

Hey all,

Making progress, getting close to professional mixing and mastering. So I'm wondering, is there anyway to mix other than decibel levels? The idea of using ratios when each layer is boosted before clipping seems very interesting and mathematically congruent. Any ideas?

Hey all,

Making progress, getting close to professional mixing and mastering. So I'm wondering, is there anyway to mix other than decibel levels? The idea of using ratios when each layer is boosted before clipping seems very interesting and mathematically congruent. Any ideas?

Yes, let's stick with decibels and use your ears.

Do yourself a favor. Research what a bel is and then learn about what decibels are in relation to that. Then, in terms of understanding loudness, research Fletcher Munson curves. If you actually study this stuff, you'll understand why I say that your question makes no sense. If you don't study it, you'll be forever lost in the world of the hypothetical.

And then, once you study this stuff, take several YEARS to gain experience understanding how it all relates to mixing sound. However, you won't be able to use too much math when mixing music because ultimately you have to use your ears. Trying to mix music by the numbers will only bring you closer to "sucks".

I get you guys but I think my unique approach to Logic is the difference. If I'm using two samples and that's it for one song, the relationship of the sample on top/inside its same sample but for a different purpose can also be easily achieved by using ratios like 1/3, 1/2, curves and such which I can confirm when using velocity strengths with 127 serving as 100%. The issue arrises when I use the same sample on two separate layers for simplicity sake, that's when I enter the realm of bel as ski mentioned. Thank you for your tips ski.

If I weren't doing sampling and music how I do, my approach would be nonsensical. But at the end of the day, it's a unique situation where understanding relationships and curves can more easily decipher an effect before my ears. Where in this case, my ears confirm that I achieved the effect or not, versus using the same instrument of measure.

I get you guys but I think my unique approach to Logic is the difference. If I'm using two samples and that's it for one song, the relationship of the sample on top/inside its same sample but for a different purpose can also be easily achieved by using ratios like 1/3, 1/2, curves and such which I can confirm when using velocity strengths with 127 serving as 100%. The issue arrises when I use the same sample on two separate layers for simplicity sake, that's when I enter the realm of bel as ski mentioned. Thank you for your tips ski.

If I weren't doing sampling and music how I do, my approach would be nonsensical. But at the end of the day, it's a unique situation where understanding relationships and curves can more easily decipher an effect before my ears. Where in this case, my ears confirm that I achieved the effect or not, versus using the same instrument of measure.

Maybe you have lost your mind and are on to something like this guy ...

I see you got your slide rule back. How did that happen? I told you I lost that on my latest expedition to the Arctic, when a rogue wave knocked me off of my skiff and flung me onto an ice flow. And then when that emperor seal charged me I had to take drastic action by trusting the slide rule in his face and warning him, "take one more step towards me and this is what I'll make out of your tusk!" at which point he snatched it out of my hand, opened his mouth, and stuck it in the socket where he was missing his other tusk, said "thanks buddy", and dove into the frigid waters after some sardines.

Tell me, I never told you that story about the talking seal before?

LOL, yes, strange as it might seem to perchance encounter such a thing on an ice floe at the top of the earth. Yes, it was frightening indeed to be confronted by such a large and imposing seal. Fortunately for me, and now that I recall (for I must have blocked it out under such frightening and dangerous circumstances) I never travel in the arctic without a Chinese translator who, now that I recollect, was instrumental in making known what it said before it departed.

Still, I have occasional flashbacks of that incident, of which Logic itself reminds me from time to time, such as this recent occurrence while viewing my marker list:

1174965072_markersinchinese.png.e4d4235a649726bc005686cce90a7895.png

And certainly your depiction of the seal, now an indelible part of this little "off piste" excursion to the initial intent of the thread, is the perfect excuse to display such a thing, manufactured exclusively from the mind of Logic. I kid you not.