Midi - Controller 7 vs Automation

ontrackp

I'm a new Logic user but an long time midi programmer. I'm finding using automation via moving faders a little frustrating on tracks that have midi volume events already programmed. I understand that controller 7 events are part of the region and automation is part of the track. As a workflow issue, does it just make more sense to get rid of midi volume in the regions then automate the track? The numbers also don't seem to always relate -- I'm accustomed to region level volume translating directly to automation.

Also is there a way to select several automation points at once? I can't seem to be able to just highlight a range of automation and drag them up or down.

Thanks very much. This is a terrific forum.

I'm finding using automation via moving faders a little frustrating on tracks that have midi volume events already programmed. I understand that controller 7 events are part of the region and automation is part of the track. As a workflow issue, does it just make more sense to get rid of midi volume in the regions then automate the track? The numbers also don't seem to always relate -- I'm accustomed to region level volume translating directly to automation.

You use one or the other depending on your needs. If you have existing Region Based Automation you can convert it to Track Based Automation and vice versa. Or you can use both in combination if your automating different parameters in each and it suits your needs.

Also is there a way to select several automation points at once? I can't seem to be able to just highlight a range of automation and drag them up or down.

Sure you can use the Automation Select Tool or the Marquee Tool. Once you've selected the nodes you need to use the Pointer Tool and drag the selected area up or down.

Selecting Automation Nodes and Lines

Thank you Scott.

You're welcome.

Also, don't forget. If you are using Apple Loops (or MIDI regions that you created) that already have controller info in them that you do not want to convert to TBA and you just want to get rid of the RBA you can select the region and delete the controller events in the Event List.

is there a way to select several automation points at once?

You can hold Shift while rubber-band selecting (=dragging over) the nodes. Alternatively you can use the Marquee tool, which will yield slightly different results (give it a try).

Regarding your question, it's worth noting that volume automation IS MIDI CC#7, whether it is region or track automation. Same data. It's just a matter of work flow whether you'd rather work with that data in regions or on the track. I believe it's more efficient as track automation in most situations, and Expression (MIDI CC#11) is typically better for region automation - but there are no rules. As Scott said, pick one of them, and one only, or the different values in track vs region automation will fight and make the fader keep trying to catch up between the two.