Akai Mpk Mini trouble (/basic midi questions)

Hi,

today I recieved my brand new Akai Mpk Mini midi keyboard in the mail. Even though I've been a frequent Logic Express 8 user for the last two-three years, I realized I was going to have some trouble mapping the knobs and pads. I find that I don't understand the editor that comes along with the keyboard (where one does the mapping). I get the idea, but my knowledge of basic midi is so bleak I need to ask some questions before I can start making my hit-songs.. Please feel free to elaborate your answers since my understanding of midi is limited. I've also added a picture of the editor so that any experienced logic/midi users might be able to help me without actually owning an Akai Mpk Mini.

So, I (think) I get that CC controls different functions and parameters, and that these will need to be assigned to the pads and knobs. How do I know which number (0-127/1-128 right?) triggers which function? If I want a knob 1 to control frequency within a high pass filter, is this possible? what about volume fader on a highlighted track?

Each pad has four options: Note #, PC #, CC # and momentary (which is a switch that toggles between momentary and toggle). What does pc and cc do? What do they control within logic? I get that the note # should correspond with the key where my chosen sample is on the keyboard, but as you can see, it's not getting me very far. Basically I'm getting the sample/triggering the synth I want, but if I were to switch to toggle on a pad, how would I go about for instance making that pad a mute or solo button?

In the bottom right corner of the editor tempo can be set. Am I right in assuming that the tempo set there is only relevant when the arp clock is set to internal (/not following logics tempo)? And why won't the keys respond when the arp clock is set to external?

Also, I can't make out the difference between transposition and octave?

Last, and probably the laziest question: I know there are 16 midi channels, but seeing as both keys/knobs and pads can all run on the same channel, what's the purpose of running them on different channels? So they can control different tracks or plug-ins?

I hope anyone can be bothered to read the whole post! Thanks in advance!

-bob1028

884809492_Picture1.thumb.png.5cdad1c3ac7eb101be0077bb96e88df6.png

After doing a lot of searching on the internet, I can eliminate some of my questions. Still unsure about a couple of things.

Can anyone give me an example of what a PC can control and how one finds the right PC# for that specific example? The same goes for CC.

And how do I find a list of CC# that apply to logic? I basically need to know how to program the change I want to make.

Can anyone give me an example of what a PC can control and how one finds the right PC# for that specific example?

In Logic, Program Change events coming in MIDI channel 1 are reserved for switching channel strip performances.

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/9.1.6/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=10%26section=3%26tasks=true

(Starts where it says You can remotely switch between channel strip settings by sending MIDI program change messages)

Besides that, some software instruments can be programmed to respond to PC's to change patches, or may even respond to PC's by default. Depends on the instrument. Most hardware synths respond to PC's too.

That's the typical use for Program Change messages, but you could use them for whatever you like (keeping in mind Logic hijacks the ones coming in MIDI channel 1)...for example, you could assign a program change event to trigger a key command, if you like.

And how do I find a list of CC# that apply to logic? I basically need to know how to program the change I want to make.

As far as CC's, there are some that Logic hijacks as well (for the selected track):

CC7 for a channel strip's volume fader.

CC10 for a channel strip's pan/balance pot.

CC 3 for an audio channel's solo button.

CC 9 for an audio channel's mute button.

Besides these, you can use most CC's to control whatever you want. Some CC's have been defined by the MIDI Specification to control specific paramenters on instruments that "speak" MIDI, but that doesn't mean you have to use them for their defined functions.

J.