Headphones.... 650,702... etc

How do... I'm looking at new headphones at the moment and the two that seem to pop up a fair bit are the Senheiser HD 650 and the AKG 702

I was wondering if anyone had already been through this thought process and what their decision was on it?

I have Yamaha HS 80 monitors ( i don't know if people generally try balancing their speakers and headphones or not)

I think i probably want open back headphones (which both of these are) as i've heard they sound better.... I'm going to be using them for quite long sessions (3 / 4 hours) sometimes so comfort is important.

Are there any other's that i should consider around this price range?

Cheers!

How do... I'm looking at new headphones at the moment and the two that seem to pop up a fair bit are the Senheiser HD 650 and the AKG 702

I was wondering if anyone had already been through this thought process and what their decision was on it?

I have Yamaha HS 80 monitors ( i don't know if people generally try balancing their speakers and headphones or not)

I think i probably want open back headphones (which both of these are) as i've heard they sound better.... I'm going to be using them for quite long sessions (3 / 4 hours) sometimes so comfort is important.

Are there any other's that i should consider around this price range?

Cheers!

I like my 702's

What will you be doing? Mixing or tracking? Why headphones?

I would recommend taking frequent breaks with speakers or headphones to rest your ears. I am not recommending any specific headphone because you will have to get used to them and what they can do for you. I once owned a Fostex set (cheap) and they were clear. They would distort if I added too much low end to the mix and I knew when to back off. They fell apart as many headphones will do.

they'll be used for mixing / writing on... probably won't do much recording with them (which is why i don't mind the open backs)

Why headphones?

Do you mean instead of using monitors...? If so - because of my work hours, i don't always get the monitor time i want! So i'm having to work on headphones a lot more... and i don't like my hd25s

cheers though... i know what you mean about getting used to what you have... it's a comfort thing as well with the hd25s, they clamp my head and squash my ears, urgh....

i think i might be leaning 702 at the mo, their cheaper and i've heard a few people say they like them.

Things like pressing on the keyboard, strumming electric guitar strings, tapping your fingers on the desk, etc are about the sound level the open HPs will throw out. There is simply no way of being quiet when other people are trying to sleep.

It seems like speakers are more forgiving at lower levels than headphones are.

Once again and more importantly, take frequent breaks to rest your ears.