Cutting power to monitors while not in use

Hey all,

In regards to powered monitors (I have two Rokit 5s), which of the following is the best idea while they are not in use?

1. Leaving them plugged in and powered.
  2. Leaving them plugged in but not powered
  3. Unplugging them (and, obviously, not powered)

I've been going with #2 since day 1, but what do you guys do? Is #1 okay to do? Does it really depend on the monitors?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciate. :D

In regards to powered monitors (I have two Rokit 5s), which of the following is the best idea while they are not in use?

1. Leaving them plugged in and powered.
  2. Leaving them plugged in but not powered
  3. Unplugging them (and, obviously, not powered)

Is this a trick question? :shock:

When you're using them turn them On.

When your not using them turn them Off.

Why unplug them unless you're not going to use them for an extended period time or a major electrical storm is passing through your area?

I once left mine on when not in use and outside a tree was growing up and into the powerlines. One day the daylight turned greenish and the power eventually went out because the tree shorted out the powerlines. Before the power was lost, a surge was sent thru one of my monitors damaging the power filtering section of the amp. It still functions and I need to replace that section of the monitor.

The tree has since been removed.

So at any given time while you are away or using the monitors, disaster can strike without notice. At least if you are there, you have the change to save them.

Some electronic devices do not actually shut down and are safer to be unplugged if not used.

If you are taking a break for a few minutes, not a big deal, but if you will be done for the day, shut em off.

Is this a trick question? :shock:

Heh, sorry, I it is not. :lol: It may, however, have been poorly thought out.

[...] a tree was growing up and into the powerlines.

By the sounds of it, you were lucky enough to lose just that one bit of your monitor... :shock:

Thanks for the responses guys. Point very well taken. When not in use, off they go!