How to zero real time clock to a particular bar?

Soundhound

Thank you ski.

I went to File>Project settings>synchronization and in that there is a Bar Poistion' which is set at 1111' and then 'plays at smpte: and I just moved those symptom numbers until the real time counter lined up as close as I could get it to the bar line I want to start at. I then moved the movie to start at that position as well. Seems to do the trick. Is that a decent way to go about it?

Use the SMPTE View Offset feature.

No, you don't want to move those numbers, so put them all back as they were. Then do this:

1) create a "giant SMPTE display" (cntrl click on the middle part of the transport). This will create a new window showing timecode.

2) control-click on THAT window and enable the SMPTE View Offset feature

3) Go to Settings > Synchronization and in the Offset section (bottom of that pane), enter bar 5 in the bar field, and 00:00:00:00 in the timecode field.

4) Enable the Enable Separate SMPTE View Offset checkbox

1499180468_Screenshot2012-06-30at1_56_54PM.png.1d222bfc00ab2c7c8dc61eb90b9baea8.png

At this point, the giant SMPTE display will show elapsed time* from bar 5, but it won't have affected anything else about your synchronization setup. Meanwhile, the transport's timecode display will not have changed.

Post back once you have that working. Then I'll give you Parts B and C.

BTW, what's the frame rate of your movie?

* whether or not the new SMPTE counter shows you true elapsed time or not depends on the frame rate of your movie.

Further troubleshooting...

The Giant SMPTE display is not the only display that features a checkbox to enable/disable the offset. If you cntrl+click on the transport itself you should find a similar item to enable/disable. Curious to know if that one's grayed out as well.

Also, by chance are you working with a locked screenset?

It's a screenset which you can lock to preserve the view of which windows are open, etc. When you switch to another screenset and then return to the locked one, it will look as it did when you locked it.

I seem to recall that there are certain minor operations that can't be performed unless the current screenset is locked, so I'm thinking that maybe that's the case here. Just a theory.

Edited by ski

I see, thanks. I'll look into screensets and find out if I have a locked screenset happening there.

It's a screenset which you can lock to preserve the view of which windows are open, etc. When you switch to another screenset and then return to the locked one, it will look as it did when you locked it.

I seem to recall that there are certain minor operations that can't be performed unless the current screenset is locked, so I'm thinking that maybe that's the case here. Just a theory.

OK, so... while we're waiting........... (tick tock, tick tock)

I did a few experiments here to see if I could get Logic to gray-out the SMPTE View Offset thingy. The results are in!

Locked screensets? Nah, got nothing to do with it. So much for that theory :lol:

However, if you display the Giant BAR display instead of the Giant SMPTE display, sure enough, that option is grayed out. So I have to ask, are you sure you've called up the Giant SMPTE display?

1200786817_Screenshot2012-07-02at3_33_11PM.png.69d6918c45bea5d0c86968102f5300c0.png

Sorry ski, I had a rehearaal tonight, won't get to check this out till maybe after te 4th. I do think I brought up the giant display but will check and get back. Have work during the day, and a gig on the 4th and and and....candle has got no ends left! :)

OK, so... while we're waiting........... (tick tock, tick tock)

I did a few experiments here to see if I could get Logic to gray-out the SMPTE View Offset thingy. The results are in!

Locked screensets? Nah, got nothing to do with it. So much for that theory :lol:

However, if you display the Giant BAR display instead of the Giant SMPTE display, sure enough, that option is grayed out. So I have to ask, are you sure you've called up the Giant SMPTE display?

[attachment=0]Screen shot 2012-07-02 at 3.33.11 PM.png[/attachment]