osx lion - make or break...who's having fun ??

just found out that my mbp is not gonna be compatible with 'mountain lion'

so 'lion' is my last possible update, and i only have a short window to get it

turns out that it's cheaper than i thought and i'm tempted to get it

thoughts ??

thoughts ??

Think iPad and the like ... technology is headed in a new consumer direction and the operating systems are being programmed that way. The older computers have very little use for it. That's part of the ultimate for Apple to dominate the world and make you buy a new 'computer' device. Resist your temptation since it, or a newer OS will accompany your next computer purchase. :(

I haven't heard anyone I know who's got it or used it say a good word about Lion. Lots of people find the whole iPad interface frustrating and miss the functionality of 10.6. Also, seeing as you've only got 3GB RAM, it could well slow your MBP down to a crawl.

I'm in complete agreement with Shiv, I'm actually dreading needing to get a new Mac in the future now, because I really don't think of Lion as an "upgrade" from Snow Leopard.

thoughts ??

Think iPad and the like ... technology is headed in a new consumer direction and the operating systems are being programmed that way. The older computers have very little use for it. That's part of the ultimate for Apple to dominate the world and make you buy a new 'computer' device. Resist your temptation since it, or a newer OS will accompany your next computer purchase. :(

well this mbp will be 6 years old by the end of the year and there's no money to buy for a few more years, unless i go pc/reaper :twisted:

I haven't heard anyone I know who's got it or used it say a good word about Lion. Lots of people find the whole iPad interface frustrating and miss the functionality of 10.6. Also, seeing as you've only got 3GB RAM, it could well slow your MBP down to a crawl.

I'm in complete agreement with Shiv, I'm actually dreading needing to get a new Mac in the future now, because I really don't think of Lion as an "upgrade" from Snow Leopard.

i don't get the Lion hate; personally, i think snow leopard was the pinnacle of apple's OS's, but... for me, Lion is light, fast. stable. i actually LIKE launchpad (at least on a macbook pro). otherwise, i don't care about the OS, i care about the apps, the work.

logic 9.1.7 is running beautifully, stable. my previous mbp (on snow leopard) stalled a LOT with my running LESS plugins, and tracks.

and the OS is, as i need it to be, mostly unobtrusive.

it's the APPS, and the WORK that matter most, and i'm having a great time...

(just my 2cents...) 8)

Edited by fisherking

Why do you want to get Lion?

Do a pros and cons list - maybe do one for getting a PC and Reaper too.

pros of pc and reaper = cheap

cons of pc and reaper = pretty much everything

pro's of lion = i loved the app launcher on my ipod touch...if i can have order apps how i want, then that's a plus for me

= full screen apps...i actually spent a while last year using hacks to try and get rid of the top menu, but it didn't work well

= like the idea of desktops and gestures should i decide eventually ti get a new trackpad

= file management looks better

= it's only 23 euros

con's of lion = some people think it's a bodged mix of styles that doesn't seem to gel to a good congruent user experience

= it's 23 euros

here's the thing....eventually i will get a new computer, and i wont have snow leopard anymore....i will end up having to buy into a new os...i started on tiger, then leopard, then snow...i have no issue moving on

thing is, once mountain lion is released i reckon it will be a pain in the arse to upgrade to lion...my specs won't support 'mountain'

Sounds like you've already convinced yourself, just make sure to backup or clone your SL system in case you decide you preferred it.

actually, i wasn't till i made the list :D

as for system clone, can't do it.....no space to deal with that kinda data, and no optical drive to do a fresh install...kinda why i want to find out if people are having issues.....

I kinda look at it like this ...

If I were a auto mechanic changing the oil in my car, then I should be content to have a socket wrench to loosen the bolt that will let me empty the oil from the pan. I would be losing money if I bought every new-fangled wrench that came out that did the same thing as my old trusty wrench.

At some point, the newer cars will improve/alter the way we have to change the oil and perhaps my wrench will no longer work. I will be forced to upgrade to a current usable version of the wrench if I intend on staying in business.

That's if I am in business making money changing oil. If it is a profitless hobby, I would have to rethink my needs for any form of upgrade.

I kinda look at it like this ...

If I were a auto mechanic changing the oil in my car, then I should be content to have a socket wrench to loosen the bolt that will let me empty the oil from the pan. I would be losing money if I bought every new-fangled wrench that came out that did the same thing as my old trusty wrench.

At some point, the newer cars will improve/alter the way we have to change the oil and perhaps my wrench will no longer work. I will be forced to upgrade to a current usable version of the wrench if I intend on staying in business.

That's if I am in business making money changing oil. If it is a profitless hobby, I would have to rethink my needs for any form of upgrade.

i understand....here's the thing...this computer will be with me till it dies....if there is a chance that 10.7 becomes a minimum requirement for certain things over the next few years then the only stab i have is lion due to incompatibility with 10.8 (ML)

if i do bite the bullet and get a trackpad, then i would be pissed at not having the ability to use the improved gestures within osx

i guess i should refine the focus of the thread to whether people are having issues that ruin their mac experience or logic experience, as this wrench is starting to look better and better

...personally, i think snow leopard was the pinnacle of apple's OS's...

It's cool you've got no problems with Lion, but the above statement does kind of agree with what me and Shiv said.

yes, but my point really is this: snow leopard was, in a way, the reinvention of leopard. somewhere down the line (mountain lion?) we'll get the best out of what lion promises. either way, the world moves forward, the OS's move forward, the apps adapt. whatever comes next, i want to be in on it...

...personally, i think snow leopard was the pinnacle of apple's OS's...

It's cool you've got no problems with Lion, but the above statement does kind of agree with what me and Shiv said.

yes, but my point really is this: snow leopard was, in a way, the reinvention of leopard. somewhere down the line (mountain lion?) we'll get the best out of what lion promises. either way, the world moves forward, the OS's move forward, the apps adapt. whatever comes next, i want to be in on it...

That's fair enough. I'm more utilitarian about it; if something does everything I need it to, then I don't see the point of getting something new. But I'm always very grateful to you trail-blazers who map out the territory before I get there :)

el-bo: you can always buy Lion, then keep it stored until you feel you need/want to install it.

el-bo: you can always buy Lion, then keep it stored until you feel you need/want to install it.

what, you think i'm effing made of money ?? :D it's only 'cause it's 23 euros that i can even consider it

hey fisherk, what are some of the things that you don't like about it,or that need a bit more work...and what do you really like ?? (if you have time, of course)

I would skip Lion directly and buy a computer with Mountain Lion.

i'm not able to buy another computer at the moment and, in the spirit of shiv's wrenches, this 5.5 year old beast still allows me to do everything i need

lion is the last compatible os for me for what might be the next couple of years......and soon i wont be able to buy it

el-bo,

Ask yourself what purpose it serve you to update. Will it enhance your creativity or will it be a science experiment? If it's the latter, put on the brakes. If the former, back your sh!t up first! ;)

Cheers,

Ski

at the price, there are enough little bonuses to make it worthwhile UNLESS someone comes on here screaming that "lion killed my rabbit !!" or some other dealbreaker

besides, i heard logic x 'barbie edition' was 10.7 upwards

i'm not able to buy another computer at the moment and, in the spirit of shiv's wrenches, this 5.5 year old beast still allows me to do everything i need

lion is the last compatible os for me for what might be the next couple of years......and soon i wont be able to buy it

But as you know, every new OSX version was more demanding on the graphics side. Lion is not the exception.

So if you get Lion on your old beast you'll see your graphics card struggle for sure.

But as you know, every new OSX version was more demanding on the graphics side. Lion is not the exception.

So if you get Lion on your old beast you'll see your graphics card struggle for sure.

should be fine with 256meg of video ram, non ??

besides, i heard logic x 'barbie edition' was 10.7 upwards

I cannot confirm or deny. NDA, you know...

:mrgreen:

i'd say this already seals your fate :

Official beta tester for the Logic X "Barbie" Edition, a fusion of fuschia, fashion and fun!

1st rule of beta testing for apple - don't talk about beta testing for apple

2nd rule........................you know where this is going..........................

hey fisherk, what are some of the things that you don't like about it,or that need a bit more work...and what do you really like ?? (if you have time, of course)

seriously...i wish apple, microsoft...would get out of their own asses and into the real world: an OS should be simple, and mostly...invisible. it's the APPS that matter. i care about logic, photoshop, email, surfing. i don't need distracting eye candy and surprises from the OS...but that's just me...

the truth is, for me it's fine. i use what i need (launchpad), and ignore what i don't (mission control). at the end of the day, it's not all that different from my experiences in: tiger, leopard, snow leopard.

in general, it's fast. light. stable. THAT's what i care about.

your mileage may vary...

seriously...i wish apple, microsoft...would get out of their own asses and into the real world: an OS should be simple, and mostly...invisible. it's the APPS that matter. i care about logic, photoshop, email, surfing. i don't need distracting eye candy and surprises from the OS...but that's just me...

the truth is, for me it's fine. i use what i need (launchpad), and ignore what i don't (mission control). at the end of the day, it's not all that different from my experiences in: tiger, leopard, snow leopard.

in general, it's fast. light. stable. THAT's what i care about.

your mileage may vary...

cheers man

i like a bit of both...simplicity with little bits of eyecandy

was so close but these possible graphics issues might be a dealbreaker

thanks everyone for contributing