USB for Audio? Less cables?

Hi I was looking into getting a new mixer for monitoring purposes, and I notice that some of them have the ability to connect directly to a computer for sound without the need for audio cables. Is this something that could be done in tandem with an external audio interface like a Motu, Focusrite or RME?

Something like this:

Computer -> USB to Motu -> USB to Mixer -> Mixer out to (with audio cables) to speakers

Would that be more efficient for audio, by having less degradation by using less audio cables?

thanks!

I'm a film composer, I use a small mixer only for monitoring - I have separate tracks for:

1. Stereo output of my music/score

2. Click track

3. Movie dialog

I mix everything in Logic.

I have to have a physical mixer as I constantly adjust these elements when working. Sometimes I want to hear more click/ or less... some or no dialog - music only - music with some dialog, etc, etc. It's much easier and faster to do this with actual faders rather than in Logic.

I'd also like the ability to have..

Multiple outputs for different monitor/speakers to compare my mix

Some kind of brickwall limiter for noise spikes

But thats a different topic I guess... but i'm just curious is there was any advantage of having USB or some other method direct from logic or audio interface without audio cables.

Multiple outputs for different monitor/speakers to compare my mix

So if you have a few sets of different speakers for comparison, you may be better off with a dedicated switcher. However, your Focusrite interface should allow you 4 stereo mixes switchable via the Focusrite software.

but i'm just curious is there was any advantage of having USB or some other method direct from logic or audio interface without audio cables.

Many of the lower end mixers can connect by Firewire or USB, but the output in most cases is limited to stereo.

Mackie makes a Firewire mixer that could suit your needs ... http://www.mackie.com/Products/onyxiseries/docs/Onyx1640i_SS.pdf

As for the other issues, a control surface may work out better for you.