MIDI jumping back to original settings? [SOLVED]

martyinabag

I hope someone can help - the midi files i am using for some cover songs are behaving a little strangely! When i import them in, of course they have their own levels and pans..but when i adjust them and hit play - no problems, they keep the settings...but when i go back to the beginning of the songs they jump back to their original settings - volume/pan etc....am i doing something wrong here??

Any help appreciated!! Thanks guys!!

If the MIDI files "have their own levels and pans" and you want to change those settings you have to delete the Volume and Pan events that already exist. Select the MIDI region(s) and open the event list (press E). Click Notes to filter the notes out. Select all Volume and Pan events and delete them. Now you can make the Volume and Pan adjustments that you desire.

You're not doing anything wrong (excepty from saying that the MIDI files behave strangely - they do not, they behave normally, but you just do not know that MIDI files often have a few MIDI Continuous Controller (CC) messages at their very start; those messages set volume, pan, send levels, etmanycetera. If you just fiddle with faders those messages at the start will not change, and as soon as Logic plays those messages, those values will be applied again. You can do two things: you can change the values of those messages so that the initial settings are like what you want, or you can simply delete them. In the Event Editor, "E" key.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...