File organization help

symphinity

Hello everyone. I am a fairly new user to logic pro 9. I have been working with it for about 6 months now, and have run in to a situation pertaining to file orginization. I have been working on an album, and now that I am progressing to the mixing stage, I have been creating a new mixing project for each song. Next, I imported each of the recording session files in to a new mixing project, and delete all the extraneous tracks so I was left with a clean project with just the final tracks I am using for mixing. My goal was to simplify the layout and workflow for mixing, and also cut back on the project size to help efficiency on the CPU. On a couple of projects I have started to get this dreaded error message when I open the project:

"One or multiple files have changed in length, as a result x number of files have changed in length or content position."

In my mixing project the result was that a track would sometimes be missing the original audio, and instead some snipet from a completely unrelated track was moved to it. So, in my research that I have done it sounds like my misunderstanding of how to properly organize different versions of the same project in one folder has caused this error. From what I can tell, the original audio files that both of these projects, original and mixing, are trying to use are in different or multiple locations, and it has confused logic as to which ones it is supposed to be using. So, here is the part where I am looking for some advice, so I can hopefully minimize the damage and prevent more of my files from being lost. Is there a safe way for me to combine, or move these mixing projects that I have made in to the original project's file so that the audio files are all where they should be. Or should I just leave these mixing projects seperate, but resave the project some how so all the audio files are copied in to the mixing project folder to prevent more of the error messages. In the future I hope to use better file managment to prevent issues like this from happening again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Chris

Running Logic Pro 9.1.6, Lion OS Version ?, Mac Pro 2.8 ghz dual quad core with 8 gb of ram

HI -

Not sure if this will help, but when you open a new session or from a template there is a splash screen where you name your session and choose a location the store it. At the bottom there are some advanced options. The first box is "copy external audio files to project folder". This should be checked, otherwise when you import files, the session will read them from there current location, which in your case is from another sessions audio files folder. Technically, that should be fine, but it can get messy. Like I said, not sure if that is what's going on with you, but I figured I'd try.

Good luck

HI -

Not sure if this will help, but when you open a new session or from a template there is a splash screen where you name your session and choose a location the store it. At the bottom there are some advanced options. The first box is "copy external audio files to project folder". This should be checked, otherwise when you import files, the session will read them from there current location, which in your case is from another sessions audio files folder. Technically, that should be fine, but it can get messy. Like I said, not sure if that is what's going on with you, but I figured I'd try.

Good luck

So this is what I ended up doing which has seemed to work so far. I did a save as in the new mixing project with the copy external audio to project folder checked. I feel stupid for not realising earlier how easy it is to save different versions of the same song in the same project folder. The problem for me was that I did a bunch of editing in these mixing projects, so going back to the original and starting over was something that I didn't want to do.

I am still a little confused as to why I was getting these error messages periodically. From what I have read, it sounds like that it usually happens when you edit files outside of logic and then bring them back in to logic. This is something that I have never done. I certainly will not be making this mistake again in the future though. Thanks for the responses!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a bit of a different issue, but heres the deal. Any thought?

Initially, I wanted logic to show my .rex files in the library and not the browser. Mistakenly, I used the create alias option. did this completely wrong. Now, my custom exs files do not show up in the browser, nor do the rex files. At this point Id like to restore the file locations of my exs instruments so they show in the library tab (once again). I need to know EXACTLY where the exs files should be in order for that to work. If you have any guidance on this i'd greatly appreciate it, same with the rex files issue