Recording Roland TD-3 drum set as audio AND midi?

ajhuk

Hello there. New here.

I just got an M-audio Fast track ultra that I'm using with Logic Pro 9. I'm trying to record my Roland TD-3 electronic drum kit as Audio AND Midi. Audio because I want to hear what I'm playing, and midi because my electronic drum kit's velocity is sometimes a little bit off and I would like to be able to edit the recorded midi information in Logic in terms of velocity, and perhaps beats that are a little bit out of time. Then obviously re-send the midi information back to the TD-3 console and re-record the audio in Logic.

I have the audio working fine. Just not the midi. The TD-3 console has midi IN and Out. I'm recording with a midi cable going from the TD-3's console to the MIDI IN on the M-audio fast track. It is recording the midi information because I'm seeing the notes being recorded. I just don't hear anything when I play it back. How am I supposed to edit individual midi notes velocitys and things if I can't hear it? Any help with how I would then send it back to the TD-3 to trigger the TD-3's sounds in order to re-record the audio after editing would be really welcome. In short I'm not sure what I'm doing.

I have the audio working fine. Just not the midi. The TD-3 console has midi IN and Out. I'm recording with a midi cable going from the TD-3's console to the MIDI IN on the M-audio fast track. It is recording the midi information because I'm seeing the notes being recorded. I just don't hear anything when I play it back. How am I supposed to edit individual midi notes velocitys and things if I can't hear it? Any help with how I would then send it back to the TD-3 to trigger the TD-3's sounds in order to re-record the audio after editing would be really welcome. In short I'm not sure what I'm doing.

You need to record to an external MIDI track set to output to a port on the M-Audio (open the library pane to choose a port and channel), and then have the data flow into the Roland using a MIDI cable connected to its MIDI input.

J.