Getting further than the intro

After I started using Logic I worked on getting beats and stuff like that, now I am trying to figure out how I can get a good melody going after the beginning of the track. Probably sounds like a weird question, but so far I get stuck and can't really go further... any tips/hints or tricks???

• 2 weeks later...
I find I get whole songs done is when I work on it with one or two instruments only, develop

The form, then arrange. Often I do the opposite and, I don't get past the intro, or the whatever.

But, at least I get some sound desighn done :-)

I get that too, I decide to make a big huge intro and that intro has a tendency to influence the rest of my track, the only way around this that I have found is to start in the middle, at least start with the main hook and if you think about it this is pretty obvious really. I don't think many songs have the intro written first and then the hook. I think its always the hook.

I think thats part of the process sometimes tho, I mean, I write a lot and only finish a few too but the stuff I learn from the tracks that never were is invaluable and not to mention the patches you design that are still sitting there in your synths to use in other projects. Unfinished tracks are never a waste of time in my book, I always salvage at least a bit of knowledge from them if not a few patches. What I've also started doing is saving any sampler instruments I make in a folder so I can access them in other projects. Great for days of poor creativity.

That being said it is pointless if you never actually finish a track, I know a few peeps who just write intros to tracks and never ever finish any. Once you get that "feeling" you know when the track starts writing itself so to speak, I think you gotta ride that wave and get to the end.