can not play with song unless recording

gamba

hi everyone, when i want to audition a new instrument in my project i can't unless i am recording. and it doesn't seem to be a difference on the instrument, it can be a audio vocal track or a midi bass track. this is the procedure which i follow: i create a new track, (right now it happens to be a vocal track and i'm doing lesson 2 out of david's book and it's a vocal track because i don't have and acoustic guitar) set for input 1, mono, check input monitoring and record enable. i then proceed to get a level. when i playback my project to see how my level sits with all my other tracks i get no sound coming from my newly created track. there is a signal just nothing coming out. i also do have my motu 828mk3 selected as input and output. the only way i seem to be able to audition the new track is to do it while recording. can some one please tell me what i am doing wrong and help me on this problem.

sorry everyone this problem only occurs with audio tracks. if i create a software instrument track i can hear it when i playback my project but i can't hear an audio track. sorry for the misinformation. can anyone figure out what the problem is.

thanks a million Glenn F . that did the job. at least on my vocal track haven't tried it on audio drum tracks yet but i'm sure it would work. i don't exactly know in really full detail what those two options do but i do know that in this lesson david get into punch record both on the fly and automatically. do you you think i'll have a problem down the road with them unchecked?

• 2 years later...

Hey,

I just started with logic x and the problem i have is the exact same, and you've seemed to locate the problem.

Now, I just have one small and really silly question, but where do I find "Audio options"? I mean I know where "preferences audio" is, but that's not where i can find "punch on the fly" or "auto-input monitoring".

Thanks in advance!