Question about headphone mixes

So I understand the concept of a headphone mix: do a pre-fader send of all the tracks to an auxiliary channel to adjust the volume independent of the main mix. My specific question is about where the auxiliary channel actually gets output to. For example, my interface now only has 2 line-outs, so I wouldn't be able to use that. If I had 4 line out's, would I just set the aux channel to output to the other outputs?

The reason I ask is because I tried using a pair of headphones by plugging them into the Line out on the back of my interface, which apparently doesn't work, as another member of the forum has told me in a post I made about it. So I'm a little confused as to where the bus gets its output set.

Thanks. :D

Ok, so I'd plug one of the Line out's into a headphone amp where the headphones are plugged into then?

Correct.

You could look at offerings from Rolls - excellent quality/price ratio. Here's a 5 channel model for $100 - they have smaller and bigger ones depending on your needs.

http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=RA53b

Ok, so I'd plug one of the Line out's into a headphone amp where the headphones are plugged into then?

Correct.

You could look at offerings from Rolls - excellent quality/price ratio. Here's a 5 channel model for $100 - they have smaller and bigger ones depending on your needs.

http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=RA53b

Alright, I'm glad a headphone amp doesn't cost much, because I plan on getting a new interface as well (made a seperate topic about that :D )

Here's another question about headphone amps in general...do I have to output the aux channel to say, outputs 3 and 4 for a stereo mix, or could I just plug one line out into the line in on the interface and just output to a single output? I'm guessing you can output to a single input on the amp, but I just want to make sure. Also, what kind of cable do I use to go from the interface to the headphone amp. Is the distance too short to make a difference whether I use an unbalanced vs. a balanced line? (TS vs. TRS...I think that's how it works, right?)

Thanks again for all your help!

EDIT: also one more question: I was looking at this amp:

and I noticed that instead of having a line-in for each individual headphone channel, it just has a single line in on the back. Does this mean that I can only output the auxiliary channel to the headphone amp in general, as opposed to outputting a different aux. channel to each individual headphone channel?

A stereo mix = TWO line outputs.

If your interface has balanced outputs and the headphone amp has balanced inputs, use balanced cables.

You were looking at... what amp?

I'm assuming it would say whether or not the outputs/inputs are balanced in the manual for the device, right?

Also, I forgot the link! My fault:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-hp4-discrete-4-channel-headphone-amp

This is the mic amp i was talking about that only has a single input on the back of it, as opposed to a seperate input for each mic channel.

Does this mean that I can only output the auxiliary channel to the headphone amp in general, as opposed to outputting a different aux. channel to each individual headphone channel?

Yes.

With the HP4, everyone gets the same mix.

If you want independent mixes, you need a box with as many inputs as you need mixes.

Does this mean that I can only output the auxiliary channel to the headphone amp in general, as opposed to outputting a different aux. channel to each individual headphone channel?

Yes.

With the HP4, everyone gets the same mix.

If you want independent mixes, you need a box with as many inputs as you need mixes.

That's what I thought, just wanted to confirm. So would the Rolls amp that was posted earlier in the thread be capable of that, seeing as there's a separate input for each channel?

So would the Rolls amp that was posted earlier in the thread be capable of that, seeing as there's a separate input for each channel?

Nope.

There aren't separate inputs for each channel.

After looking at the manual (hint :wink: ):

There are Left and Right inputs for one stereo signal or Right only for mono operation. All five outputs get the same mix.

BUT...Channels 1, 2 and 3 have Inserts on the back of the unit that can accept Tip-Ring-Sleeve connectors with the right and left signals on the Tip and Ring respectively (a stereo 1/4" cable).

When the Inserts are used, the main Left and Right inputs are disconnected from the Insert channels, so that only the stereo signals sent to the Insert jacks go to the corresponding outputs.

So, this would give you four independent mixes.

Three different mixes on channels 1, 2 and 3 (using the Inserts) and one different mix shared by outputs 4 and 5.