Ear Monitor Set Up

Hey guys

We are 6 in the band (2 guitars - one in mono, second in stereo, 1 bass mono guitar, a drummer a keyboardist and a vocalist) and we need 4 different mixes to go into the earmonitors: 1 mix for 2 guitar players, 1 mix for bas guitar and drummer, 1 mix for the vocalist and 1 mix for the keyboardist. I am personally a keyboardist and I am using backing tracks played from mac book pro (Logic Pro DAW) via stereo out of MOTU Ultralite MK3 Interface and a click from Logic Pro going out of a separate out from the same audio interface. Sometimes we have to playback a mono bass track from the DAW when our bass guitarist cannot attend a gig.

Sometimes we go for festivals with a few bands performing, so we need a system which would be as portable and easy to be plugged in as possible and with least cables/wiring possible.

Can anyone help with proper construction and configuration advice as well as which hardware I need to buy and advise on the wireless systems to use? Will I need 4 wireless systems for my purpose or are there systems that can transmit 4 different mixes from one transmitter?

The Mk3 is perfect for this. I'd recomend a one rack for the MOTU and laptop and one for the wireless radios. Sennheiser makes great

wireless systems. Check their site to get the details. I'd sudgest checking if radios could be provided by the sound company at the festivals. it's less to lug around and you would only need to bring you're own headphones. Never use provided ear buds, unless you want a infection to cut the tour short! If you guys have a sound engineer, consult with him/her to build the best system for you. It is a big investment so, try to spend wisely.

Also, consider this. Unless you as a keyboardist, use a keytar, two members are not moving about the stage. So you and the drummer could do fine with small mixers as headphone amps. They are cheap, small and can do double duty for other things.

Plus, no batteries. Just imagine if the drummers reciever were to run out of batteries mid song. Train wreck!

Lots to consider.

Carlos, can you describe the wiring of such a system? That is how best to connect the whole system on stage and then wire it to the main mixer? And if you are saying I can use MOTU interface for monitor system, does it mean I need to somehow connect all the instruments in our band's outputs into the interface and then the main stereao output from the interface will have the whole mix??