KEY COMMANDS: Is there a bug?

Music Spirit

I am using L7.1 and a pretty experienced Logic user: does anyone know of a key commands bug when trying to view Key Commands? I always thought my troubles were due to transition from L6 to L7 but I have just been watching Martin Ritter's excellent Macpro training videos and my Key Command window does not do stuff that he is doing. ie When you type a KC into the finder window all the categories are blank? You have to fiddle around for ages to get the various key commands to show used/unused.

Has this KC viewing thing been fixed in later versions of Logic Pro 7 - I am reluctant to upgrade as the Score Editor is really important to me and I have read on other Logic Forum that later versions of L7 actually have *more* score bug faults than earlier versions

Any info on this much appreciated

I am using L7.1 and a pretty experienced Logic user: does anyone know of a key commands bug when trying to view Key Commands? I always thought my troubles were due to transition from L6 to L7 but I have just been watching Martin Ritter's excellent Macpro training videos and my Key Command window does not do stuff that he is doing. ie When you type a KC into the finder window all the categories are blank? You have to fiddle around for ages to get the various key commands to show used/unused.

Has this KC viewing thing been fixed in later versions of Logic Pro 7 - I am reluctant to upgrade as the Score Editor is really important to me and I have read on other Logic Forum that later versions of L7 actually have *more* score bug faults than earlier versions

Any info on this much appreciated

8) It's not a bug, it's an encephalopod. 8)

Try this...

Clear your search so the box is empty. Set your SHOW box to USED and your OPTION box to EXPAND all. You should see all the key commands.

Using the Search box is for typing in the Command (like Stop, Play, Goto) that you want to control, Not the acutual Key to control the command.

If you type in a 'Z' then any command with a 'Z' in the word or phrase will display.

.If you have no key commands at all, you may need to reload them.

8) Now...stare into the light..:idea:

I'm fairly new to Logic, but have been spending a lot of time setting up my Key Comms for my workflow.

I have noticed that the key comm window will stop allowing me input sometimes. If I go thru a few choices for one key comm setting, suddenly I can't type in the box any longer.

So I just close it & open it... and it accepts input again.

Also, my "P" is set to put the locators to a selected region's boundries.

But sometimes it just won't work

This is all in the Arrangement window, so there is no chance of "P" being assigned to another key-comm conflict.

Eric

I have noticed that unless the cursor in the find window of the Key Command Window is all the way to the left, it has problems doing its search.

So be sure when activating the search window, that the cursor is all the way to the left by hitting the delete key a few times.

Strange stuff but it baffled me for a while. Please post if anyone has experienced this or if it helps.

Thanks!

8) It's not a bug, it's an encephalopod. 8)

Shiver me timbers

Try this...

Clear your search so the box is empty. Set your SHOW box to USED and your OPTION box to EXPAND all. You should see all the key commands.

Using the Search box is for typing in the Command (like Stop, Play, Goto) that you want to control, Not the acutual Key to control the command.

If you type in a 'Z' then any command with a 'Z' in the word or phrase will display.

.If you have no key commands at all, you may need to reload them.

8) Now...stare into the light..:idea:

thank you Shiver ... since you have solved my problem :) I will forgive your irony at my expense

PS yo' Shiver - how do you do that cool indented dark grey quote? As you can see from my reply to your last transmission ... I've a way to go

cheers in advnce :)

I've fixed it. You're supposed to press the "Quote" button on the post you want to reply to, and NOT touch anything, just type your answer below. Apparently you had messed with the BBcode strings (the stuff in between [ square brackets ]).

PS yo' Shiver - how do you do that cool indented dark grey quote? As you can see from my reply to your last transmission ... I've a way to go

cheers in advnce :)

I've fixed it. You're supposed to press the "Quote" button on the post you want to reply to, and NOT touch anything, just type your answer below. Apparently you had messed with the BBcode strings (the stuff in between [ square brackets ]).

Many thanks David :)

PS...

I'm very glad to see that LPH is going to the dogs... Dog avatars that is! Me, musicspirit and shiver so far that I've seen. Excellent! But... how come my dog looks grainy? She didn't start out looking like that, but her pixels have apparently expanded. :shock:

Should I call digi-vet? Or just upload another picture?

Signed,

Concern in Canineville

On the subject of KeyComs, it's good to know that the "weirdness" in KeyComs window isn't (just) nerdness on my part.

I'd just like to plug two Logic keyboard manufacturers at 2 very different price points:

Logic Keyboard- (I use one)pretty, hghly efficent and not cheap

http://www.logickeyboard.com/

Editors keys: (I haven't used one) less pretty but great price

http://www.editorskeys.com

It's SOOO much faster, more fun, & kinder to your fingers to use KeyComs.

HTH

PS I'm putting this in Tips&tricks too, hope that's ok with you David????

RR

FYI, there are definitely :shock: bugs :shock: related to operation of the Key Commands window, most of which I've documented in the bug report section of this website.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=4486

For My Information? LOL...Actually, I don't have any bugs in My Key commands. :lol: It works Flawlessly TYVM.

If I want to see if a command exists, I search for a word in that command (i.e. Play, Record. GoTo, etc) and I get all commands containing that word.

Next to that command line I can see if a key has been assigned to it.

If I type in a Key command letter (with or w/o modifiers) I will get a Pop-up windows telling me what that KC is programmed to. I then have the option to replace it or cancel it.

Also for some KC to work, I need to be in the Window they are used in.

I can print out a KC list or Store and recall my own personal set of commands.

The only bug that exists is with me :mrgreen: because I can't remember every single command. :roll:

FYI, there are definitely :shock: bugs :shock: related to operation of the Key Commands window, most of which I've documented in the bug report section of this website.

For My Information? LOL...Actually, I don't have any bugs in My Key commands. :lol: It works Flawlessly TYVM.

If I want to see if a command exists, I search for a word in that command (i.e. Play, Record. GoTo, etc) and I get all commands containing that word.

If I type in a Key command letter (with or w/o modifiers) I will get a Pop-up windows telling me what that KC is programmed to. I then have the option to replace it or cancel it.

The only bug that exists is with me :mrgreen: because I can't remember every single command. :roll:

That was a "friendly FYI", not a "FYI cuz u don't know nuffin" kinda FYI. :roll:

:D

What version of Logic are you running? (If you're running a later version than 7.1.1 maybe they fixed these bugs?) In any event, the bugs I reported in that post, unlike the insects that are always swarming around my monitor, are very real. In v 7.1.1 the KC window is a buggly little piece of code that does not work as it should, i.e., typing the command while the window is open should cause that command to scroll into view (without having to do a search for the command).

There's also a nasty little bug that will actually crash Logic if you try to remove a particular key command from one of the sample edit functions. Nice!

That was a "friendly FYI", not a "FYI cuz u don't know nuffin" kinda FYI. :roll:

:D

What version of Logic are you running? (If you're running a later version than 7.1.1 maybe they fixed these bugs?) In any event, the bugs I reported in that post, unlike the insects that are always swarming around my monitor, are very real. In v 7.1.1 the KC window is a buggly little piece of code that does not work as it should, i.e., typing the command while the window is open should cause that command to scroll into view (without having to do a search for the command).

There's also a nasty little bug that will actually crash Logic if you try to remove a particular key command from one of the sample edit functions. Nice!

I am on 7.2.3 and I took the FYI in a nice way. The fact of the matter is my knowledge in Logic is limited because of how I am using it. If I hadn't joined this forum, the term "Ingorance is Bliss' would fit me very well.

I am grateful to everyone who writes in with a question, solution, a url to a different product. I am not using every function in Logic but this forum has opened my eyes to what it can (and cannot) do. I have learned enough in here that I am now ready to actually sit down and read the reference (and Plug-in) manual(s) and learn some things.

Now we need to work on that .jpg of yours :wink: