Automating Space Designer presets?

anabolique

i guess there is no other way of doing this then using program change on Performances.

I dont know how to do this in environment.. I only managed to do this while targeted track is selected.. I would like to automate it for real, so that it doesnt depend on selected track.

Actually, I would like to control two Space Designers so I could easily switch ambiances without the audible gap due to impulse loading.... Please, help

Yeah, as I said :

Actually, I would like to control two Space Designers so I could easily switch ambiances without the audible gap due to impulse loading.... Please, help

but.. I only managed to control program changes while Space Designer track is selected, that was pretty easy.. but i dont have a clue how to make it "really written" as auto without the need of selecting that track... Because, that brings two problems.. First, I cant control two Space Designers that way and second problem is that I could easily change channel strip settings of some other accidentally selected track...

I dont have a clue how to make things in environment so that particular program change is controlling only desired track (regardless of selection). I read the similar post- about automating performances with fader but I didnt really get it. also, I read there that it wont work if its connected directly to desired channel strip.

So, my problem is that I don know how to "direct" particular program change to desired channel/track (so i could control another Space Designer independently too)...

The point is to have many ambiance changes during the project (for video post) and not loading too many Space Designers to save some CPU

Ok then you're losing me: if you're controlling two space designers, why would you to control program change? My suggesting was to simply automate the sends: you send to bus 1, Aux 1 is created, insert Space Designer with preset 1. You send to bus 2, Aux 2 is created, insert another Space Designer with preset 2.

Now only send to bus 1. Then automate as you lower the send #1 and raise the send #2.

Ok then you're losing me: if you're controlling two space designers, why would you to control program change? My suggesting was to simply automate the sends: you send to bus 1, Aux 1 is created, insert Space Designer with preset 1. You send to bus 2, Aux 2 is created, insert another Space Designer with preset 2.

Now only send to bus 1. Then automate as you lower the send #1 and raise the send #2.

Hehe... OK, we are lost :)

What You're suggesting is the way I use reverbs in my music all the time but for the postproduction (mixing audio for VIDEO) (and i am just starting to do that) usually people need many different ambiances... lets say, part of the movie if is in the living room, then car, then tunnel, then street, then basement , canyon etc.... So i could end up with 30 Space Designer instances for 20 minutes movie....And thats wasting of CPU and brings more confusion to project.

What people do is automation of Altiverb presets...but I was trying to do it with Space designer.

What You're suggesting is the way I use reverbs in my music all the time but for the postproduction (mixing audio for VIDEO) (and i am just starting to do that) usually people need many different ambiances... lets say, part of the movie if is in the living room, then car, then tunnel, then street, then basement , canyon etc.... So i could end up with 30 Space Designer instances for 20 minutes movie....And thats wasting of CPU and brings more confusion to project.

What people do is automation of Altiverb presets...but I was trying to do it with Space designer.

If you end up with 30 Space Designer instances, but only one at a time is in use, you're using as much CPU as if you're using a single Space Designer instance throughout the movie.

If you end up with 30 Space Designer instances, but only one at a time is in use, you're using as much CPU as if you're using a single Space Designer instance throughout the movie.

Thanx, does that apply to Space Designer instances on bus(aux) channels as well as audio inserts? Thats the thing I would like to know regarding plugins in general, not just Space Designer.

So, when is that plugins dont use CPU?

My guess is that when there is no audio (no region at the moment) on track as above poster said.. would bypassing the plug do the trick too?

What about plugins on buses? Does CPU saving take place when sends to that bus are at lowest position (- infinity) or I have to bypass them?

Two years ago I asked my friend about this and his response was that it depends on the plugin...

I suppose that he was referring to some analog emulation plugins since they are introducing noise (so they are working something) even when audio is not present on that part. But again, I didnt get does bypassing them "clears" CPU totally...