Hi. I thought it might be fun to start a thread where we could all post our individual Autoload songs for others to look at, make workflow suggestions, or just to see how each other sets things up. Maybe it could even become a 'I like yours, let me tweak something for you' kind of sharing/co-op thing!!!

Mine is a constant work in progress..especially after I read about something VERY cool on this board. So...I've attached mine. For some reason, I just dislike 'cabling' between layers..so I spent some time thinking about creating seperate layers based on how I work. Some redundancy, I'm sure.

With multi-instruments, I've 'preassigned/named' audio objects, but haven't instantiated the plug-ins on them. This makes it easy for me to just call one up.

I have a simple rig...MOTU 828MKII interface, only two hardware synths..no 'outboard' gear (reverbs, etc..). I don't track a lot of live stuff here..mabye a gtr or bass, so I only have one Input channel setup. Like I said..It's a start :)

Feel free to suggest changes, or create a new layer and repost or email!

Autoload.lso

• 1 month later...

Oh my... :oops:

I feel like my autoload requires me ot include my I/O naming (Audio Config)...and a bit of an explanation. So, if you dont care, stop here, skip to the next post, etc.

If you decide to check it out, I have prefixed my autload and I/O labels with "nikkik_*****" in the archive I have attached. If you decide not to replace the I/O labels you have (back them up first please!!!), then my autoload might seem...odd? I do not know, I have not tried it without my I/O labels, so I have no idea what happens.

Now the explanation... I (primarily) write prog rock. I like to try my hand at orchestral type stuff as well. I have nothing finished yet, and have only just gotten my autoload and Environment to a point i am (pretty) happy with. Here is what I did, and why...

First, I am only doing stereo mixes (tried some 5.1, but not into enough to dedicate myself yet). So I have a stereo Main Out. I also have a stereo out for headphones, but nothing is assigned to it in this autoload, as my intial comosing does not require it's use (usually). I like to be able to feed that main mix with two sources: one is the primary mix, with very little, if any, dynamics procesing, but I do like to use some sort of "colouring" (tube, tape, etc) across it, lightly, and some light EQ'ing if I feel it needs it, or if I do a "pseudo master" for my own use (MP3's, etc). I feed the Main Out a second mix which uses dynamics processing + EQ; sometimes I will use this to "slam" the mix a bit, but by blending with the drier mix, I retain transients and the "body and depth" of the mix. By feeding the "Main Mix Sub 1" as the primary Output for al my material, and then using sends to feed the Main Mix Sub 2, I can blend in what I want to process...for instance, I might not send effects to Main Mix Sub 2, since I might not want to squish reverbs, or make them sound differently than what I have already done to them.

I like to create submixes...pretty obvious once you open the auoload! ;) I like to do the parallel drum comp thing, hence two Drum Sub's by default. By creating submixes for each *vital* section of the mix (drums, vox, guitars, bass, etc), I can mute, solo, and adjust levels overall very easily, without relying on grouping or anything to do so. I can also apply any "similar type instrument" processing as a group if I like as well. I also have some Aux's set up for submixing, since sometimes I like to use a send from a set/group of insturments. Drums are a good example here as well, as in addition to parallel processing, I might use the sends for more adventurous types of things as well.

Effects. These are all set as "FX Returns" on Aux tracks, so I can send from one to another if I choose. To facilitate this, I have dedicated some Bussing in the Audio config just for this use. With properly labelled Busses as "cables," I can easily trace my routing at a glance.

I setup all the Audio tracks I figure I will use ahead of time, and do so based upon the left-to-right placement I am used to on an analogue desk. Thus, since i like my drums to occur first from the left, I have created those first, although I will almost exclusively use virtual instruments during initial composing. I refuse to do a final miix running any MIDI based instruments. So, all those will get bounced before mixing, and the final mix will be done with Audio tracks ONLY. (they will feed the submixes and Busses though).

Instruments. Ugh. I use BFD, and do a decent size kit (kik, snare, 6 toms, 7 cymbals, and one perc piece), so I use BFD Ultra...but can only use Outs 1-32, so I have to re-route the last two cymbals (normally out 33 and 34) to the busses in BFD to use them. Pfft on that, but it works. I created enoug Aux's to force all 64 to be available when creating the audotload, just so I could assign the BFD outs to the higher number Aux's. I created all the Audio Objects I knew I would need for BFD's outs, and then assigned from the highest outs in BFD to Aux 64, and went backward from there. This left all the lower number Aux's for other things... Since I almost always use BFD, I assigned it to Insturment Track 1, which routes the stereo OverHeads out thru it. I cabled a Multi Instrument in the Environment to the Instrument Channel with BFD inserted on it, so that way I can create multiple MIDI tracks in the Arrange window to address each kit piece (pre-demixing basically- lol). IOW, I did that so I can make a MIDI track for kik, snare, hihat, toms, etc seperately if I want.

I also use a piano (Ivory!), electric piano, and/or organ (B3 type, usually) alot. So, I created Instruments and Insturment channels, all cabled, in the environment as well. I also did the same as I did with BFD with Kontakt2. I could pretty easily sub in EXS multi if I choose, but my Orchestral stuff (primarily VSL) is all in K2 right now.

Environment...layers. Yeah, WTH was I thinking? Well, I actually deleted all the layers, and started from scratch. I preplanned it on paper, and used a very cool trick. I knew I would have the "Clicks and Ports" layer there, so I simply left that one, and modified it slightly. Next, my Main I/O. It made sense, since the Clicks and Ports was a layer for the main MIDI I/O, that I follow that with a layer that defines the main Audio I/O environment stuff. Since my final outcome is planned to be an Audio Track only mix, I figured I would create a layer containing just Audio Tracks. And there it is! "Submix Busses" are the next layer, and I can easily alter/access those specific objects in a single layer, no clutter, no fuss. By creating a seperate layer for just the Audio Tracks, I can easily access and assign in the Arrange window, without having to do much fishing about, and since the Submix Busses will proabably rarely end up in the Arrange window, they are happy on their own layer.

Next is the Aux subs layer. These are only for those special occasions that I might want to use a sub that allows me to send to somewhere in addition to the actual final Output of that submix. The Drums one is there, and then a few others, preassigned for when/if I want them. And the last pure Audio type objects, FX Returns! Yep, their own layer, once again allowing me to work with them and only them easily and cleanly. I used Aux's so I can send to other effects Aux's, subs, etc. I used all these layers for these objects so that if and when I want to work with them in the Arrange window, they apear as their own menu categories, and also to make it easier to work with them in the Environment, since they are all split up in groupings of similar type Objects/tracks/types.

Now the instruments!

Why? I know, it looks funky. But, there is reason. I used a very cool trick, which is that if you name a layer using ":" between characters, it creates a main menu entry for any and all Environment layers that use the same exact characters PRIOR to that ":". So, I simply decided...Virtual Instruments. Since you are only allowed a certian number of characters, I used "V.I.:" I then created layers for each Virtual Insturment type, and then since BFD has so many objects, I created a layer solely for it. "V.I.:BFD" and then "V.I.:Keys" (pianos and organs), and so on. Now when I click on a track assignment in the Arrange window, I have less MAIN menu entries, and when I hover over the "V.I." entry, that produces a submenu with all the VI layers I have set up!

To clarify what I am assigning from that submenu in the Arrange window for a V.I., I went ahead and created Instruments, mapped Instruments, and Multi Instruments, and named them generically, but added "MIDI" to the end. So, for instance, with BFD, I made a Mapped Instruemnt, named it "BFD MIDI" and cabled it to that Instrument track that has BFD OH as a label, since it outputs the OverHead mics from the BFD instrument. If I assign a track in the Arrange window, I can easily see, via the menu, when I hover "V.I." and the submenu "BFD" that I have BFD MIDI, which would allow me to have that track send MIDI events to that Mapped Insturment that is cabled to, and thus trigger, BFD on the Instrument track, and I can also choose to hover to reveal the BFD Instrument track (with the OH mic outs), as well as the Aux tracks I have assigned the rest of the BFD outputs to..but rarely will need to have them in the Arrange window. But, by naming the Mapped Instrument "BFD MIDI" I can easily tell it is a MIDI track I will be *creating* in the Arrange window. Likewise, if I want a Piano, I can simply add a track in the Arrange window, then click ot assign the track, hover over "V.I." and then the submenu item "Keys" and I will see a "Piano MIDI" item which would address the Instrument track that Instrument Object is cabled to (if I wanted to split left and right hands, or maybe place CC's on a seperate track), or I can then hover to reveal the Piano Instrument Track, and then insert my Piano instrument on it and being composing.

OK- was that long enough or what? It truly is a simple autoload. I do not have any fancy cabling or transformers or any of that going on. It really is a very basic setup. However, I showed it to someone, and they asked why I did what I did, so I figured maybe it is unique enough to warrant posting it here, and taking the time to type all this out on the why's and such. It is a great starting point for me, and I can always delete stuff if I do not use it. I can also re-assign and rename specific pieces I do not use, which is especially easy since I split it all up the way I did. If I do decide to add in special processes, it should be pretty simple to implement, as each layer is kept clutter free. I could even then cable between layers, simply using a new layer for whatever special process/effect I create, which would make Imposting it into an older song less "painfull."

If anyone has a question, or comment, please share. If I have done something that is compeltely ridiculous, please let me know! I spent about 2-3 days getting this setup, since my initial environment/autoload kept coming up short as I tried to start writing. Plus, I have about 100 ideas/songs that are in process that I need to move from Pro Tools (ugh times one thousand!!!).

The screensets might seem odd, and I have not settled on those yet, as i need more time playing around before I figure my workflow out, which will determine screensets I think. Plus, I am using two 19" (4:3 format) LCD's, hence the stretched out windows. I wish I could grab a ~2500x1200 res widescreen ~30" monitor...maybe in another lifetime...

Oh- and I did pre-colour track/instrument types even!

(BTW- I use this on a Mac Pro with Digi hardware right now, and also on a MacBook Pro core2duo 15")

nikkik_auto_and_IO.zip

• 1 month later...

Great idea Dave. I just finished watching the S.L.U.G. videos you did, and this is the icing on the cake. My autoload song is completely revamped. I have been using Logic about as long as you have I believe, and while I had customized my Autoload prior to this, I had not taken it to such lengths. In fact even the version I am posting now is going to be changed slightly. I still need to work on screensets, if anyone has any recommendations for a dual monitor setup and a 98% in the box workflow I am very interested. Anyway, thanks again, great idea.

My Autoload uses the basics on the arrange page. I have 4 preset FX busses for 2 kinds of delay and reverb. In my environment I have a dedicated layer for multi-out instruments, a layer for Multi-Channel instruments, one layer dedicated to the Virus TI due to the funky way Access recommends setting it up for Multi-Tambral operation, plus the standard audio tracks layer.

As with everyone else here if anyone has a recommendation feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Callen

Autoload.lso

Callens Autoload

• 1 month later...

Here's mine,

I have my audio objects separated in the environment on screen set 8, as well there is a page in the environment for Reason with 16 instruments and i think 32 audio objects.

screen set 3 is for editing instrument plugins.

screen set 4 has a space on the right for the Rack in Reason.

screen set 5 as a space in the top left for Line 6 Gearbox.

Luke

Autoload.lso

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Indeed! Nigh is the time for customized Logic 8 templates, Nikkik! Do you have a version of your autoload in this thread that you use with BFD2 and Logic 8? I'm using your autoload in Logic 8 but would love to see what changes you've implemented, thanks so much.

Cheers

Bobco

So my autoload is pretty simple. In the Audio layer of my environment is where you find my multi-instruments for Stylus, Ethno, and Kontakt. I put these there to cable up on a moment's notice. I also have two unwired arppegiators, again, to wire up quickly. Since I use Abletons Live, I have a rewire layer for the MIDI and the audio return is, well, in the Audio layer. I don't know why, but I prefer to mix from the Environment more than the Mix window. Could be the lack of sunlight finally getting to me?

Anyways, this mine autoload song, enjoy.

Autoloader.logic.zip

Hehehe!

I actually am using DFHS/C&V + EXS24 for now. BFD2 is a complete nightmare (snap, crackle, & pop due to intermittent overloads; BFD2 simply pulses, pulses, pulses- overload..repeat..).

Since the autoload is gone in L8, I made up a few templates and simply use them.

My main one has DFHS and an EXS24 with a few extra drum pieces/cymbals, each sent to an individual out, DFHS going to individual outs as well. I then have 4 guitar tracks, 2 bass tracks (one is a dup of the first, and then processed to taste), synth track, some vocal tracks, and then setup for using headphones and main monitors (Blue Sky Monitor One 5.1 system). I set up a couple reverbs, and then create submix Aux's, one each for guitars, bass, synths, and vox, and then two for drums (parallel process). I also have my Environment set up for using a Nord Electro 2 and V-Synth GT. All tracks are color coded, named and icon'd up. I also have the I/O labelled up nicely for basic use, with a few extras I might use (for example, I have some "dummy" outputs and busses set for doing multi-track non-real time bounces).

Still working on the V-synth GT part, as no one has patch list...manual entry is not fun. Ditto for the Nord. I am also creating a custom drum mapping, but have not figured out how to use it with a software instrument yet. Baby steps- lol!

Logic has some minor issues, and some missing features (like 7 string stringed instrument support in the score for tabbed instruments, and lower than drop-D for extended range basses), but other wise it works well for now. I would post it, but it is still unfinished, and I am (im)patiently waiting to see if Superior 2 will allow me to FINALLY work with a drum kit that I like. BFD2 would have done it...incredible shame... x's 1000... So, I load up DFHS, and then create an EXS24 instrument with the extra rack tom (I use 4), and extra floor tom (I use 3, and the 3rd is on the drummer's left, directly opposite and tuned/timbred close to the 2nd floor on the drummer's right), and then some cymbals I love. (still looking for some nice octabans or other cool stuff). Once S2 is out, I could always post it here...or, email me and I would be happy to share!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

A number of things. I have had Logic for one year, but without as much time to devote to it with studies and twins!

However, I would hasten everyone who is new to Logic, or who doesn't have a good template (autoload) to make one. I have only just been making a more elaborate one, my first only had one instrument track due to the ease of creation over 7, along with personal preferences for snap, recording and such.

However, now I have 43 visible tracks for audio and software instruments (I like the notion of not instantiating a software instrument but put them on as needed in their respective tracks), rewire, busses, auxes for multi-channel instruments, etc...

For some reason it really makes getting everything down easier, and I am in the process of migrating my old tracks into this setup.

One question I have for most of you who have posted here is: I have noticed none of you have created a drum/percussion/rhythm track submix. Just am interested in why?

Thanks,

AB[/i]

What a cool thread!!!! :D

I might post mine when it is finished, getting closer. I find it interesting that there are funny psychological things. i have one screenset where only automation lanes are visible. for some reason, i find it easier to switch to this screenset and mess with automation than to hit A on my arrange screenset. ridiculous huh?