Transform - Exponential Vel.

fa

Thank you for answering, David!

I don't feel quite ready/comfortable enough to go into the environment ;-)

I was hoping there was perhaps a 3rdparty utility for the task.

Puzzling to me there is no "easy" Logic fix for that. I bet a lot of people have fast/slow feeling keyboards...

I agree.

Meanwhile the environment is really not that scary especially for something as simple as that. I would encourage you to give it a try.

Basically:

1. Choose Window > Open MIDI Environment.

2. Click the Layer pop-up menu (top left) and choose Click and Ports.

3. Choose New > Transformer.

4. Insert the transformer somewhere in the chain (for example cable the Input View monitor into the Transformer then the Transformer into the Sequencer Input as below).

5. Double-click the Transformer to open it.

6. In Conditions, set Status to (= Note).

7. In Operations, set Velocity to (Expon.) and adjust the value below.

Transformer.thumb.png.7f9a464bffd89cf6fe5afbfa7244efa6.png

• Like 1

I will give this a try, when I have the time to dive into this. Seems to me there still would be a couple of downsides:

1. Not possible to store multiple "preset-curves" in the transformer

2. Would have to go into the environment and remove the transformer in case I need to "switch it off"

In the meantime I have created a couple of scripts with the handy tool posted above. I have named them using the following logic: EXP-X-Y where X and Y are the values for the point that the exponential function is based on. Works really well, and presets in Scripter can be toggled through or switched off on the fly. The tricky part is to find the right point to choose, so that the altered slope works well the the response of the keyboard. Not as easy as the say the velocity editor in Pianoteq (because of visual feedback and more points on the curve to alter) but does the job, once you created some curves that work.

Plus the advantage of the environment in this case is that your adjusted velocity will end up recorded to your tracks when you record, which is probably what you want.

David, how did you create a nice smooth exponential curve like that? Is there some way to copy and paste 128 values into the editor or something to make this easier to do, or did you manually set the points one at a time or what?

David, how did you create a nice smooth exponential curve like that? Is there some way to copy and paste 128 values into the editor or something to make this easier to do, or did you manually set the points one at a time or what?

Oh no, I'm waaay too lazy for that. :lol: I just chose Expon. then set the value to 3.3. Just like you can see in the screenshot I posted, nothing magical.

ps another way to handle this dynamically in the environment would be to attach a fader to drive the exponential factor, so that you could use a fader to tweak the curve of a single transformer. Would be even cooler to expose that fader as a smart control, but I'm not sure how to do that. I don't know how to make the fader more precise too, which now the fader itself is way more "course" then the exponential factor value is capable of.

493396191_ScreenShot2021-03-18at2_17_44PM.thumb.jpg.1af7ade01c38417c498e5e8c111d1138.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Quick question on this topic...I'm looking to expand the velocity range of a group of notes of different pitches & velocity values.

Say I have 12 notes of different pitches & velocity values ranging in velocity from 72 to 96. I'd like to be able to randomly increase the distance between those notes' velocity values only (not their pitches). For example, to a velocity range of 60 to 112.

In other words, I want to decrease the lowest velocity value and increase the highest velocity value of the group of notes I started with.

Is this what exponential velocity is meant for? Thank you in advance.

Edited by TheUncannyValley
Clarification