Does Logic have a "Statistics" analyzer/ tool?

Eric Wikman

I've just read about all the great helpers in Logic, but in SX3, there is "Statistics".

You select your files/mixdown.... & it will perform analysis and give you results about.... highest peak... lowest level, original bit depth, pitch ...etc etc.

But most helpful... it gives you your Average RMS of your whole mixdown.

I found this so helpful when trying to compete for levels in your finished mixdown.

(don't get me started about this levels war stuff).

Anyway, when you import and run stats on "good clean commercial LOUD" stuff, you can see their averages are around -12 /-10db.

This is the REAL measurement for judging how pumping your music is.

I remember dropping my old songs to DAT and making sure I didnt go over. Then my music was so low, I remember thinking why is my song so low when I recorded to DAT as hot as I could.

LOL

Anyway, I've since learned what seems to be common knowledge these days.

So when I stated to first measure my output pre-masters, they were down about -17 db. So I've since learned how to use compressors, limiters & the Sony Inflator to get great results. etc etc.

But I want to show clients too.... with the stats, but I dont want to have to open Cubase up to show & check every time.

thanks

Yea, I've read a lot about his plugs from some of the pros over at the SX/C4 forum.

Quality stuff.

Didn't he buy some other company and re-name & double the price?

Do you know if it has that specific feature I mentioned here?

Thanks

Eric

PS.. I think the Sony Inflator was designed by Paul Frindle, who Jay has been quoting.

Very cool plugin!

If you wonder about the Loudness Wars: how obvious can I make this...

LOUD RMS DOES NOT MEAN A BETTER SOUND AND USUALLY MEANS A WORSE SOUND BECAUSE IT'S LIKE TYPING IN ALL CAPS AND WITH NO PUNCTUATION THERE IS NO QUIET PARTS TO HELP YOU MAKE SENSE OF THE MUSIC AND IT QUICKLY BECOMES TIRING TO READ BY THE WAY WATCH THIS VIDEO

Compare the readability and fatigue factor of the above paragraph with this:

Loud RMS does not mean a better sound — in fact, it usually means a worse sound. It's like typing in all caps and with no punctuation: there are no quiet parts to help you make sense of the music. It quickly becomes tiring to read (listen) this way.

Please see this video at Bob Katz' web site to see in more detail.

Please, please, PLEASE, everybody, don't join the Loudness War.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks, but this is NOT about the Loudness wars.

That's why I stated that.

I'm looking for a replacement plug for a " file snapshot stats" thing.

BTW, In my line of work, if I mix into a record that is 10 db lower, that is just plain wrong.

Sometimes we can only push the mixer fader up a few db.

Some producers give out tracks (pre-mastering) to traveling DJs to get some feedback.

This is only for these type of files.

Not the ones to send to a proper Mastering Engineer.

If you think that chopping off some of the spikes/peaks to get a hotter level is not done by everyone these days, I don't agree. (a few db... not smashed)

Classical music would be a type of music where they leave all the dynamics I believe.

Deepswing,

Use the Helper plug-in (Multi-meter) on your output channel or individual channels.

Is this what you are referring too?

Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanks for you reply as usual.

Close....

Those Logic Helpers don't have exactly what I need.

I am looking for something that will analize a whole file mixdown and give a static readout afterwards of many stats.

The main need is the "Average RMS" of the "whole track" snapshot.

I think I need a spell checker sometimes. :)

Deepswing,

ReplayGain will give you some information about average level, as will (of all things) iTunes. If you look at the volume compensation of either of those and compare it to a commercial mix you're competing with :? then it will tell you what the dB RMS difference is.

For example, such-and-such classical track might have a ReplayGain or iTunes compensation of +2.0 dB. Such-and-such rock track from 1992 might be at -3.5 dB, while such-and-such rap track from 2007 might be at -19 or -20dB.

It doesn't give you an actual dBFS measurement, but it does let you compare tracks.

Matt

Hey, that is a good way for ref.

I guess I'll just keep using Cubase for this stuff for now.

If i'm gonna use another software, I already own SX3, and it's very precise.

I just thought there might be something inside Logic, since it does have SO much already.

Movin' on.....