Best way to edit MIDI recording with CC's?

paradox148

I am a relatively new comer to Logic so please forgive me if my question is way too dumb for all you gurus here. I have also searched for a long time for the answers to my questions both here and online for a long time and have come to naught. :(

I tend to do a lot of recording using my EWI3000 controlling the various sound AU hosted within Logic, including Sampletank, Kontakt, and Wivi amongst others. As the EWI is a windcontroller instrument, it outputs a lot of concurrent continuous CC's (C2, C7, C11...etc) for expressiveness and these get recorded into regions with no problem at all. However as I am trying to edit the notes themselves, I realized that the various CC's do not "follow" the notes as they are channel based and so I would have to edit the CC's control data as well. This is next to impossible on the Event Editor, and I do not know if it is possible to do that on the Piano Roll.

I have tried to use the Hyper Editor with varying degree of success. One problem that I keep running into is this: The Volume, Breath, and Expression data seems to interact in some wierd sort of manner. Changing one would change the others as well, sometimes nicely and uniformly and sometimes not, that is, they sometimes resist being drawn in a smooth curve because some data in the other CC's seem to be resisting it. Many times I would have to use the eraser to erase data on all three CC's before I am able to edit them properly. It is kinda hard to explain clearly but maybe some of you would have encountered the same or may be able to explain to me how they interplay?

What is the best way to be using Logic to edit CC's within Logic? Is the Hyper Editor the only effective way to do it? and what's the best practice in doing so?

PS: David, I am very tempted to buy your book from Amazon but I would like to be able to obtain the Kindle version of it both for portability and that I live in Australia. As it does not contain the cd, is there anyway I am able to purchase the cd as a downloadable copy?

(I am using 64 bits Logic Pro 9.1.7 on a MacbookPro(Lion 10.7.4 with 8Gig Ram)

Thankyou so very much hungrydave! Found the Hyperdraw function under View. Will explore it further but looks like it is exactly what I was after. I thought Hyperdraw was for Logic specific automation and didn't realize that it can be used for editing CC's. Thankyou again, you have really made my day. :)

I would still like to find out more about the Hyper Editor with how the different CC's would be interacting with each other though for future references though so further comments would be most welcome. I have always thought they all work independently of each other?

PS: David, I am very tempted to buy your book from Amazon but I would like to be able to obtain the Kindle version of it both for portability and that I live in Australia. As it does not contain the cd, is there anyway I am able to purchase the cd as a downloadable copy?

Hey,

I'm not David but I can answer that as I just recently purchased a Kindle edition :D

All the DVD content is downloadable from the Peachpress site, they give you a link at the very end of the book, so it's not a problem.

It's a super useful book. However, in case you plan to use it to prepare for the exam, be aware that some of the content appears to be missing in the Kindle version. At least that was my experience when I couldn't find the answer to one of the control questions in the last chapter, looked in my paper version of the old Logic 8 book and all the info was there. Probably not a big deal but something to be aware of.

Thankyou so very much hungrydave! Found the Hyperdraw function under View. Will explore it further but looks like it is exactly what I was after. I thought Hyperdraw was for Logic specific automation and didn't realize that it can be used for editing CC's. Thankyou again, you have really made my day. :)

No problem :-)

I would still like to find out more about the Hyper Editor with how the different CC's would be interacting with each other though for future references though so further comments would be most welcome. I have always thought they all work independently of each other?

They are independent of each other, are you saying that changing one parameter caused another parameter to change? That's just weird. I can understand that on a wind controller, some of the controllers might be related in terms of the performance, like if you blow harder you get more expression and stuff, but once you've recorded the data, editing them should be entirely independent of each other. Can you describe what was happening in a bit more detail perhaps?