Multiple Midi Recordings on Same Track [SOLVED]

petersod713

Hi All - 10 year Reason user here trying to figure out the most BASIC thing (prolly) in Logic 9 Pro. When I record a drum track using midi I record the bass drum and the snare in the same track. I hit stop, listen to it, hit the RECORD button again and record a hi-hat, but while I can still hear the snare and bass drum I don't know where it went in the piano roll?? It adds the layer of the hi-hat, I can see that, but where is the MIDI (piano roll) info for the first take of the bass and snare drums?? How do I "reveal" the previous recordings midi/piano roll information?? Or just flatten it so all the drums are in the same piano roll.

This is just killing me. This takes 2 seconds and is so easy in Reason which is why I'm SO frustrated.

Thanks, all. Just joined today. Looks like a great resource.

By default Logic will overlap MIDI regions on the same track, but you still only see one MIDI region at a time in the Piano Roll.

I'd suggest you go to Settings > Recording and under MIDI set your ovelapping recordings to merge with selected track. Then when you're about to record your hi-hat, first select the region then press record. The hi-hat will be merged with the snare and bass drum after you stop the recording.

Yes!!! Thank you, David. I also started recording a different instrument on a different track (with the drum track playing) and when I clicked on the recorded drum track event (now containing 4 different drum sounds in the same track) the all showed up in the piano roll. Thank you, thank you. I hate when "real life" gets in the way of one's "creative side."