Decrease bass response of headphones?

Hey there,

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones that I use for writing music on my laptop in my dorm room, and listening to music in iTunes as well. The phones sound pretty decent, but the bass response is remarkably exaggerated, which throws my mixes way off, and makes music in iTunes sound too boomy. (Yeah, I know you can't mix on headphones, but I don't want my music to sound any worse than it has to.)

Is there a way to globally EQ all sound coming out of my computer, so I can make the bass response a little more neutral?

Hey there,

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones that I use for writing music on my laptop in my dorm room, and listening to music in iTunes as well. The phones sound pretty decent, but the bass response is remarkably exaggerated, which throws my mixes way off, and makes music in iTunes sound too boomy. (Yeah, I know you can't mix on headphones, but I don't want my music to sound any worse than it has to.)

Is there a way to globally EQ all sound coming out of my computer, so I can make the bass response a little more neutral?

O.o my ATH-M50S have very little bass response and I had to buy a headphone amp to compensate.

Erik, I understand the Swedish doctors are working on that. In the meantime, the OP should get headphones that sound good to him. :)

There's another thread on the forum about a search for "flat" headphones. There's no such thing because your ear canals aren't flat. What I hear, you don't hear, and vice versa.

A pretty incredible list of endorsers have praised those M50's... Ed Cherney, Frank Filipetti, George Massenburg, Al Schmitt. And not just "boy, these are good," but more like, "Wow, these are the best headphones I ever heard!" That doesn't mean you'll agree... maybe your sinuses don't resonate the same as Al Schmitt's.

Well, I figured out how to route the system audio through a channel strip in Logic, which allowed me to EQ all audio on my computer. It sounded really nice.

Now, if I create an aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup, I can work on music projects in Logic while EQ'ing system wide audio.

Downside is that I have to open up Logic every time I want to apply this process.

^ Cool, thanks for the info.

The best solution for me ended up being to use Soundflower to route system-wide audio through Logic. This can be done in any project, allowing me to simultaneously hear music in iTunes, and monitor my project, with a more balanced frequency spectrum.

Audio Hijack looked pretty cool, but unfortunately it added a huge latency to all hijacked audio.

for the record you can mix on headphones, people make hit records on planes but you will still need various sources to make your mix perfect such as testing it at 39058345 places until you are happy. Well maybe that number is a little bit to long, but if you tried that many locations and your mix sounded good within 80% of them your on the right track.

#:)