Progressive Tuning (cents) [SOLVED]

zgmg

Hey all,

Is there a way to tune a sample by cents, so if I wanted to down-tune by -5, I would automate 0 to -500 cents. Right now, automation with EXS24 > Pitch > Coarse Tune tunes by whole values and I don't understand how, if using Cents instead, to have it go down -500 instead of -50, reset back to 50 to go down another 50 which would be concurrent with coarse tuning. Any recommendations?

I've also tried the Apple Unit plugin for tuning, which does offer cent-tuning by the thousands, but that uses the same timing whereas I want both the tuning and timing effect progressively. Any ideas? Thank you in advance. And to those who have helped me before, thank you too, and sorry for my uneasiness before--I'm trying to better my ways.

Some info that may be of use to you...

SEMITONES and CENTS

1 semitone = the distance between any two adjacent (chromatic) notes = 1 half step = 100 cents.

1 whole step = the span of two adjacent (chromatic) semitones, or 2 adjacent half steps = 200 cents.

A whole step always includes three notes (i.e., C to D is a whole step, with C# being in the middle).

The terms half step and semitone are synonymous.

1 cent = 1/100 of a semitone. Most people cannot discern changes in pitch smaller than this. One cent is already a very very very small amount. It's likely one of the reasons that musicians rarely if ever discuss deviations in pitch in values than 1 cent.

INTERVALS

Intervals are numbers denoting the musical "distance" between pitches, expressed in semitones or half-steps. The smallest interval we use in western music is "1" and applies whether you're going up or down in pitch from any given starting note. Thus, the musical distance from C#3 up to D is "1" (one semitone), as is C#3 down to C3.

1 = semitone = 1 half step = 100 cents difference

2 = whole tone = 2 half steps (a whole step) = 200 cents difference

3 = minor third = 3 half steps = 300 cents difference

4 = major third = 4 half steps = 400 cents

5 = "perfect fourth" = 5 half steps = 500 cents

6 = tritone = 6 half steps = 600 cents

7 = "perfect fifth" = 7 half steps = 700 cents

8 = minor sixth = 8 half steps = 800 cents

9 = major sixth = 9 half steps = 900 cents

10 = minor seventh = 10 half steps = 1000 cents

11 = major seventh = 11 half steps = 1100 cents

12 = octave = 12 half steps = 1200 cents

Final note... In a sampler, tuning and timing are inherently interrelated. Change the tuning and you change the timing (and the sound quality, or "formant"). It's no different from playing a record faster or slower.

Right, so to clarify, do you know how I could take a sample and progressively lower it by 5 semitones or half steps but at a progressive rate that changes with cents, not whole half steps at a time, so you hear it slowly and smoothly because lower and longer?