Searching for song sheets.

djals

I'm trying to teach myself to play the piano and I figure learning to play some of my favourite tunes a good starting point.

I'm currently working on "i am the black gold of the sun" (just the looping piano part) by rotary connection/nu yorican soul.

As a starting point I thought I'd try and get the song sheet but this is proving more difficult than i'd hoped.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good site?

Or if anyone knows the chords and would like to share, it would be much appreciated.

Hhmmm...ambitious indeed! Its a complex little riff! (for me at least)

Firstly can you confirm that starting at 3.4.1.1 the A note played together with the F is correct? I took the liberty of moving it to G# or Ab (the b's and #'s thing is still murky water territory for me) and it sounded more natural.

If so, the notes are either: C#, D#, E, F, F#, G#, A#, B OR Db, Eb, E, F, Gb, Ab, Bb, B

So I'm trying to figure out the key now and have got as far as narrowing it down to Db Major or Bb Minor on the basis that they contain 5 b's or #'s. Trouble is they both contain C and have no E.

So, onto Modes then....and this is where I have to succumb to my lack of knowledge and ask for help again :?

Out of interest did you work this progression out just by listening to the original song eriksimon?

Madskillz!

Hhmmm...ambitious indeed! Its a complex little riff! (for me at least)

Firstly can you confirm that at 3.4.1.1 the A note played together with the F is correct? I took the liberty of moving it to G# or Ab (the b's and #'s thing is still murky water territory for me) and it sounded more natural.

No, I can't. You can delete it.

About the # or b thing, as long as were talking piano (equal temperament) there's no difference between Ab or G#; my own convention is to think of 'm like F#, Ab, Bb, C# and Eb. Only in formal notation I would use the "proper" names.

If so, the notes are either: C#, D#, E, F, F#, G#, A#, B OR Db, Eb, E, F, Gb, Ab, Bb, B

These are both the C# or Db major scale, with an extra E, making it some sort of major and minor octatonical scale. Befitting to psychedelic music. :mrgreen: The more usual western scales are heptatonic (7 tones). I think there are actually two tonalities here: C# and B.

Out of interest did you work this progression out just by listening to the original song eriksimon?

8)

I wish... :(

No, I'll be honest, I used Melodynes' polyphonic algorythm (DNA), and cleaned up the resulting midifile. If I had to do this by ear, I'd probably need a full day to do it. This thing is pretty tricky.

Also, it's a very early example of using a loop.

Madskillz!

I know a few people who actually can do this sort of thing by hearing, they're all pro musicians (I'm not); they would probably have figured this one out in a few minutes. But then, I know how long and repetitive and arduous they had to practice and practice and practice to reach that level... but they are Madskillz, absolutely! So, polyphonic Melodyne is a blessing for us lesser skilled folks! Especially with such notefilled pieces like these.

Ok, just took another look at it, my assessment, fwiw: first measure is in C# (Db) major, next five are in B major.

Great feedback guys, I've taken another small step forward on the arduous journey that is music theory. Will be diving into Melodyne soon, this should be of great help too.

Concerning the b's and #'s, the list of scales that I use is always written out with one or the other so this way helps me remember easier.