System Overload, Why? [SOLVED]

Claudia Teh

Hello,

I am going through lesson 2 Logic pro 9 by David Nahmani, and now on page 68, which is Acoustic Recording.

Everytime, I tried to record my voice, the system overload window will pop up and said it is not being able to process the recording. I am not getting anywhere.

Would anyone be kind enough to help. Thanks.

These are the gears that I am using:

Mac book pro OS X Version 10.6.8

Logic Pro 9

Edirol UA25 as my music interface

Tone Factor S220 condense mic

Casio PX 100 Digital Piano

Logitech speakers

Sennheiser HD215 headphones

Any input would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks.

Claudia

To what disk are you trying to record? How big/full (with plugins) is the project? If you are recording to your system disk (which is not recommended, but should be possible for one track nonetheless), how much free space is there still on that disk?

Which bit depth do you use (should be 24), which sampling frequency (should be minimally 44.1 or 48 kHz) and which file format? (CAF, AIF or WAV should all be fine).

Without knowing anything more, I'm assuming that your system disk may be too full and/or too slow. But that's a wild guess.

Also: how does it go (or not) in a fresh, empty project with just one audio track?

You're not the only one and as far as I can see no-one has come up with an explanation.

Here are some links to related threads.

Given the fact that I'm getting the problem on a brand new iMac with 12GB of RAM, a 3.1 Ghz processor and 700 GB free space I'm not sure it has anything to do with external disks or processor speeds or buffers. Something is hitting the CPU and causing Logic to crash. I wonder if it's something outside of Logic that's happening on the machine? I'm now running Activity Monitor alongside every Logic session and see if anything looks odd. Sods Law of course dictates that it hasn't happened again since I started doing this :)

http://logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72327

http://logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87468

http://logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83010

You're not the only one and as far as I can see no-one has come up with a coherent explanation!

Huh?! The message itself even provides a coherent explanation. :?

And apart from that, this is the most asked question and in 99.9 % of cases the cause is already described, and it has been explained and troubleshot numerous times on any forum dealing with Logic.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24535

I'm not sure it has anything to do with not using external disks or processor speeds or buffers.

No, nobody is sure until every individual case is laid out; as you may have gathered, this message does not have one single possible cause. But here it is my impression that the speed and/or quantity of contiguous free space may be insufficient; it is at least one of the first things to, if nothing else, exclude here.

If you are recording to your system disk (which is not recommended)

Not trying to hijack the thread, but, I sometimes have the same problem. . .it's actually only happened once. I've got a 2 TB 7200 rpm external hard drive. . .as a general rule should I be recording all of my songs on this drive instead of recording to my system disk? If so, why? Is it less taxing on your computer? Just curious. :)

You're not the only one and as far as I can see no-one has come up with a coherent explanation!

Huh?! The message itself even provides a coherent explanation. :?

And apart from that, this is the most asked question and in 99.9 % of cases the cause is already described, and it has been explained and troubleshot numerous times on any forum dealing with Logic.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24535

I'm not sure it has anything to do with not using external disks or processor speeds or buffers.

No, nobody is sure until every individual case is laid out; as you may have gathered, this message does not have one single possible cause. But here it is my impression that the speed and/or quantity of contiguous free space may be insufficient; it is at least one of the first things to, if nothing else, exclude here.

Thanks for the link Eric. I've just read it and there's a lot of useful stuff in there. I can understand the overload of the processor when Logic has so much to do converting midi tracks, applying plug-ins, fetching audio, displaying the screen etc. but it doesn't really make sense to me why a project should crap out on just a few tracks and that's what I'd like to understand to try and prevent it happening.

I've just read the sticky in the bugs section and although there are various theories and workarounds suggested it doesn't look like there are any easy answers to this :( Luckily it's not happening very often.

To what disk are you trying to record? How big/full (with plugins) is the project? If you are recording to your system disk (which is not recommended, but should be possible for one track nonetheless), how much free space is there still on that disk?

Which bit depth do you use (should be 24), which sampling frequency (should be minimally 44.1 or 48 kHz) and which file format? (CAF, AIF or WAV should all be fine).

Without knowing anything more, I'm assuming that your system disk may be too full and/or too slow. But that's a wild guess.

Also: how does it go (or not) in a fresh, empty project with just one audio track?

The answers to all those questions will be needed to help you further Claudia. Also a couple more questions:

- What is the EXACT wording of the alert you are getting?

- At the time of the alert, what kind of activity do the CPU and HD meters in the transport bar display?

Hi everyone,

Here are the answers to Eriksimon's questions:

I am not very sure if I have answered all these correctly, as I am not at all a technical person. But, I will try my best. =) Thank you for helping.

1. What disk are you trying to record?

I think it's the system disk. It's the one on my Mac. I actually divided it into 2 division, one is bootcamp for windows, and the other one is for Mac. Logic plays only on Mac, so yea, it's the main disk in my mac.

2. How big/full (with plugins) is the project?

According to get info from the folder the project I am working with, so far it is 15.3MB on disk for 19 items. I am working through the Logic Pro 9 exercises by David Nahmani, and now on page 68, and it's only the beginning, So I would assume size of the project file will keep growing.

3. If you are recording to your system disk (which is not recommended, but should be possible for one track nonetheless).

What should I do? My friend is a video editor, he edits his video in a small external hard disk and uses USB 3 while he edits. He said USB transfer information much faster, that's why he could edit using an external hard drive. Should I do it too?

4.how much free space is there still on that disk?

4.03GB.

I do regular backup with Time machine, using a 1 Terabyte external hard drive. But, what I read about time machine is what ever changes I do on my mac, eg, delete something, the time machine will save whatever is there at the time of back up, and the information that I have deleted can't be retrieved. To me, that is not really back up is it? I am still confused until today. That's why, I don't dare to delete anything from my Mac, but still keep doing regular back ups. What should I do??

PC is way more straight forward in this. If I back up something on a hard drive, I can basically delete that from my computer and be ]sure that the information is still in the hard drive I backed up in.

5. Which bit depth do you use (should be 24)

6.which sampling frequency (should be minimally 44.1 or 48 kHz)

44.1kHz

7.and which file format? (CAF, AIF or WAV should all be fine).

I had a look at get at the file formats of the tracks that I used so far, they consist of CAF and AIF.

8. Without knowing anything more, I'm assuming that your system disk may be too full and/or too slow. But that's a wild guess.

I was suspecting that too.

9. Also: how does it go (or not) in a fresh, empty project with just one audio track?

I tried opening a new project. 1st time, the same problem occur, but the second time it was fine! =D

Answers to David's questions:

1. What is the EXACT wording of the alert you are getting?

Oh dear, I tried to record again, but this time it's fine! How come ?nothing has changed. From memory, it says something overload, and not being able to process audio.

2. At the time of the alert, what kind of activity do the CPU and HD meters in the transport bar display?

I remember the CPU indicator reached its limits too. Can't remember what HD meters show.

Although it's not a problem now, I am sure it will come back again. When it comes back again, I will get the specific wording and repost it on the forum again.

Sorry guys, feels like have wasted everyone's time..=( But, I guess some input for what to do if I face this problem again would be good?

Thank you so much.

Cheers,

Claudia

Oh dear, I tried to record again, but this time it's fine!

How come ?nothing has changed. From memory, it says something overload, and not being able to process audio.

Was the project already open this time? If the alerts only come the first time you play through the project, then your issue could be related to the bug reported there: System Overload alert the first time playing through project

Although it's not a problem now, I am sure it will come back again. When it comes back again, I will get the specific wording and repost it on the forum again.

Sorry guys, feels like have wasted everyone's time..=( But, I guess some input for what to do if I face this problem again would be good?

Definitely come back with more precisions when/if the problem reoccurs. And please don't feel like you have anyone's time, thanks a lot for having the patience to provide all the information we asked for. If the problem reappears this will all come in handy.

OK, cool that you answered the questions, so now the problem has become (very) evident: you have only 4 GB of disk space left on your internal disk, which is way too little for, for, well, for anything really. You should really get a FireWire external disk (USB is NOT the best for audio, it is ok for backups though), and you should move things off your system disk; you should have at least 50 GB free on it; at least.

It is also a good idea to add your Windows partition to the Spotlight privacy list, so that your Mac OS does not attempt to search it; this can also hang Logic. You can access the privacy list via System Preferences>Spotlight>Privacy.

Hey David and Eriksimon,

Thank you so much for the input.

I have done something really stupid while trying to free up space on my hard drive. I deleted everything that is greater 500MB in my computer following some instruction online. well, miss following. and I have trouble putting what ever I have moved to the trash back to where it is. I think its because there are too many things. I don't think my computer is functioning properly anymore. > < I am now using my friend's computer to thank and say goodbye to you guys.

Can't believe I did that. I guess I am having a cold and not thinking straight enough. I need to reformat my computer now. Luckily I backed it up...It will be a while before I see you guys again.

Wish me luck!!!

Thanks all.

God bless

• 4 weeks later...

As can be seen from the above thread.. It's worth noting to others who report "System Overload" issues.. They can normally be resolved by some action taken by the User..

Be it increasing the amount of free space on the system drive.. adding more memory, removing Windows Drives from Spotlight.. or not using USB2 (or 'green') external hard drives... or any of the multitude of other possible causes...

It's usually just a matter of carefully and patiently troubleshooting the issue and correcting/fixing 'whatever is wrong'....

More often than not it is not a "logic' issue as such.. but something else, configuration wise, be it hardware or other software... that causes these types of issues, unless of course, the User is literally pushing his/her computer too hard... or demanding too much from the 'power' that is available from their system... if that makes sense?

Anyhow, glad to hear Claudia resolved her issues...

Onwards and upwards!