OWC Data Doubler and recording to 2nd internal drive

I'm thinking of adding a OWC Data Doubler to my MacBook Pro rather than adding an external drive for recording on the go. Ideally I'd add a 160GB SSD in the main bay, then move my 7200RPM internal into the optical bay.

My question is that since the SSD isnt big enough to hold my Users folder (at my price-point anyway), would you guys see any problems arising because of having my Users folder on the 7200RPM drive that I would be recording to?

Is it worth it in the long run to just save up and get a 240GB SSD instead?

I use the Data Doubler. It's works great.

FW800 speeds are slower than SATA so it is a real benefit having an internal disk. It's also nice to have all your stuff on one device.

Try finding a > 250 GB SSD instead and keep you user folder as it is.

Move media folders to the spinning drive (iTunes, Movies, Photos...) and you should be fine.

I like the idea of the data doubler but I agree that 240GB is very small by today's standard. I'd use the data doubler with a HDD instead, or a larger SSD if you can afford one - but really it depends whether you want a lean and mean machine or a workhorse.

I think he'll be fine with > 240 GB SD and a 750 GB spinning drive.

The crucial thing is to move the media files.

I'll have to check again tonight and see how close it is space-wise. I might be able to squeeze my user folder onto the SSD if I move the media libraries as you mentioned.

The main reason I'm considering it is that I'm looking at ~$150 for a decent mobile drive anyway (my only separate drive is an external 160GB 5400rpm), and its only a matter of a few extra bucks to get the Data Doubler and SSD instead.

With my MacBook Pro being a 5,5 revision, the fastest SSD I can get is a 3G. Is that still preferable to FW800 speeds?

Thanks for your input guys!