note velocity question in piano roll! [SOLVED]

andrewsky95

Hi there,

Im importing my own drum samples into the piano roll via ultrabeat, and using drag and drop samples setting...

the kick drum for example when played as a wave sounds perfect.. however once in the piano roll it seems to change sound due to the velocity.

Roughly what velocity will give me the same sound as the wav sample after its in the piano roll?

also how long should the note be to get the full kick drum sound, thanks if anyone can shed any light on the matter. (:

Hi there,

Im importing my own drum samples into the piano roll via ultrabeat, and using drag and drop samples setting...

the kick drum for example when played as a wave sounds perfect.. however once in the piano roll it seems to change sound due to the velocity.

Roughly what velocity will give me the same sound as the wav sample after its in the piano roll?

It depends on the velocity settings on that particular sample slot in Ultrabeat. There are two velocity modulators that affect the sample level: One at the bottom and one at the right. The other two are for noise and phase oscillators that should be disabled when you're using Ultrabeat just as a sampler.

1252683919_ScreenShot2012-11-06at4_31_37PM.png.8ac03f25bb470d224b412115f55298ae.png

Normally mod is set to max and via is set to vel. If your maximum velocity parameter is set to 0 db (unaltered), then your midi note should have maximum velocity (127) to reach that level.

If you don't need any control over volume via velocity, just set mod to "off" and adjust volume to 0 db.

268749101_ScreenShot2012-11-06at4_58_27PM.png.7cf0628564bf2502011b6585052887a0.png

also how long should the note be to get the full kick drum sound, thanks if anyone can shed any light on the matter. (:

That depends on the length of the sample and how the envelope 4, the amp envelope, has been set in Ultrabeat. If you're using midi notes as "gate" that starts and stops the sample then you should have sustain button activated and the red vertical line set to where the amp curve is at its highest peak. If you're playing samples as "one-shots", meaning that they play all the way to the end everytime triggered, then you should disable sustain and drag the release node until it's at least as long as the sample itself.

• 2 weeks later...