Huge Problem: Logic Instantly Stops Playback

C4L88

I just got a monster of a mac pro and i am having the same problem you guys have in 10.5, so i was glad i still saved the previous version of logic. However, the clean install i did with the previous version also has it’s problems, mainly giving me the spinning ball and not reacting when saving or quiting a project sometimes. I know a lot of you like to update stuff , but on my old mac i had the most stable os and logic i ever had. I never updated the os, and i advise you to turn off all automatic updates and think first. Whenever u hit a stable combination of software/hardware, clone it as a steady point to return to

I’m experiencing this bug across 2 different Macs on 2 seperate projects. Both projects are entirely different, different plugins and even deleting all tracks and leaving a blank audio or midi tracks still causes this issue. Once it’s in the project, it seems to be baked in! Thankfully, The only 10.5 features I’m using is step sequencing that can be converted to midi. These projects can then be opened fine in 10.4.8. I’ve submitted feedback. I first thought, like many of you it was related to midi inputs or possibly key commands but after many different tests, it is not. It also has nothing to do with resource heavy plugins - it’s happened on projects with 2-3 tracks.

Yea, a lot of us are in big trouble right now. I was in the middle of a two-month-long album production with a bunch of singers around the world, scheduled and booked. Lost a lot of money and momentum. It sucks really bad. Still holding out hope though.

Update: Apple support recommended updating from Mojave to 10.15.1. I've done this. Also re-installed LPX and my 3rd party plugins, ensuring everything is up-to-date. The problem persists. Apple support again saying they do not have an ETA for a fix.

Same issue here. Macbook Pro Catalina. Logic Pro X 10.5.0

Hit spacebar or Play and project starts and stops within a second.

I close Logic. Open Logic. Starts working for a minute or two, and then does the same thing.

I can't work on my clients project because of it. Really frustrated about it... and not sure what to do.

Hi, I have the same issue too.

It is definitely a bug. To solve this problem, make sure you save and close your project first.

Then, press Command + Option + Esc. A window that says force quit should pop up.

Then, force quit logic. This basically restarts the program.

Open your project again. It should work. At least for me it worked.

Yep same problem, since upgrading. The application is now unusable.

Solutions I have tried:

• Shutting down all other applications
  • Running in Low Latency mode
  • Maxing out Buffer size
  • Freezing every track
  • Removing all reverb and delay effects
  • Turning off Accurate Automation
  • Force quitting and restarting
  • Disabling all third-party plugins

and a host more I can't remember.

I have a decent MacBook Pro and shouldn't be experience CPU overload, especially after doing all the steps previous.

I was also having the same issues recently.

Not sure if this will work for everyone, but what seems to have fixed the issue for me was going into the project folder (ie control-click the project and click "Show Package Contents"), open up the "Alternatives" folder and deleting the earliest alternative (000 in my case). Not sure if this is the cause of the issue, but for now it seems to have eliminated my Playback problem.

Logic 10.5.1 was released to the App Store yesterday and includes a lot of "stability/reliability" fixes. I have't experienced the problem this thread describes in 10.5, but hopefully 10.5.1 irons out the issue completely.

Audio cutting out within a half hour is still an issue for me, but it only seems to be .wav and .aiff files--external instruments and soft synths continue to properly produce sound. Never had this problem before 10.5.1. Also, Logic is now scanning third-party plug-ins each and every time I start it up, which means when the audio does cut out and I have to re-open the project, I can plan on losing at least 5-10 minutes of time depending on how long Logic takes to scan the plug-ins. Also having issues with poly flex where I'm getting a pop-up stating that Logic is received unexpected audio information, thankfully I can manage without using flex most of the time. This version is considerably worse than 10.5 which was considerably worse than 10.4.8.

Hey guys, I discussed the problem with my an Apple-Advisor via hotline and he recommended to try the version before update. The 10.4.8 version is only available on Mac OS High Sierra. So if you install high sierra on a seperate external HDD, you can download the 10.4.8 version. Either you use the high sierra OS or you can also compress the installed software to *.zip in your software folder. After, you've to transfer it to your catalina or mojave OS and unzip it in your software file. Done. For any questions, don't hesitate.

How about they make sure their patch allows their program to make sound before releasing it for auto update.

Went back to 10.4.8 and was still having the exact same issue on several projects, went through and turned off all third party plug-ins and it worked on some of theme (echoboy seemed to be the issue on these). Couldn’t figure out why this wasn’t working on a few of my other projects, and it turned out it was Logic’s own compressor that was causing the issue on these. So sound is back on 10.4.8 and probably just going to need to apply plug-ins directly on specific tracks and bounce right or just wait until mixdown to apply plug-ins really of any kind apparently.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah that's uh pretty annoying. I'll add this: I never had this problem until I started using the Remix Plugin, so my guess is it has something to do with that, especially because the remix plugin messes with the mechanics of the song playhead as far as starting stopping, reversing, etc.

• 2 months later...

Hello all, I figured I would jump on board and mention I am having this exact same problem as well, and only since updating to Logic 10.5.0.

The problem as others have described is:

-initiating playback through any means will play for a split second then stop immediately

-the only playback that works is when recording

The only solution appears to be closing Logic completely and then re-opening. After that, the problem could happen again after a few minutes or after an hour. It's very annoying.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a question... do others use Dropbox (or a similar file syncing app) while editing? I know that Logic puts everything into one archive and that while you've got an active project, there are files continually syncing.

I had this problem for the last couple of days on my M2 Macbook Air. I just quit Dropbox and it loads and works fine - no 1 second pause/crash. I think it might be file syncing - at least for me. Hope that helps!

There are so many reports that working with project files inside Dropbox creates problems that the consensus is not to do it.

It's best to work with Logic projects locally, then .zip and upload them to Dropbox to share them. Gives the extra benefit of having an actual backup of your project.

PS: not just Dropbox, problems happen with all syncing solutions!

Edited by wonshu
  • Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 8:42 AM, Pogley said:

do others use Dropbox (or a similar file syncing app) while editing?

Definitely not while editing for me.

Only once the project has been saved and closed, then I compress it (Control-click the project package or folder and choose Compress) and upload the resulting .zip file on the FTP server, cloud or file transfer service I choose to use.