Counterpoint, Cantus firmus, species,

other ambiguously used english terms or latin words with no meaning to me;

Hello!

I'm completely lost in music theory at this point, as I was out ill for quite a few lessons and missed the instruction on counterpoint, cantus-firmus, species, etc. My music theory book (the musician's guide to theory and analysis) is only confusing me more-so.

I guess the pretentious notion held by jazz musicians / rockers / pop composers / electronic artists / Stravinsky of "just do what sounds good" is clouding my mind from understanding how to properly make music by rules and formulas.

Anyways, would you mind linking any resources you know of for understanding counterpoint, the various species and cantus firmus? Also, any of your personal information on what these concepts are would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I would actually say that jazz musicians have an incredible amount of theory behind their playing, because there are a lot of different modes (variations on a scale) that fit with all the different chord inversions (different shapes of the same chord) they use.

An example (not very technical one) of counterpoint is when you get a single bass line playing different notes, while the higher melody line plays totally different notes, but together they sound really good. Bach composed some absolutely amazing stuff with counterpoint. My dad is a classical guitarist and plays a few Bach pieces, I'm trying to remember one particular one.

Wikipedia is usually a good place to start from though. "In music, counterpoint is the relationship between voices that are harmonically interdependent (polyphony), but independent in rhythm and contour." So different rhythms but interlinking melodies.

I'll get back to you on the Bach piece though.

Counterpoint is one or more melodic lines that harmonize with the primary melody, which is referred to as the cantus firmus, without following its rhythm. (Think of that Latin as meaning "solid song" and you'll see that the cantus firmus is the foundational melody). The term "species" just refers to the classification of five different types of counterpoint devised by some ancient music teacher or another... Species 1 is one note against the cantus firmus, species 2 is two voices against the cantus firmus, etc. Apparently five is as high as you are allowed to go without making the teacher scowl at you.

So, counterpoint is like Nigel Tufnel's "intersecting lines" in his "Mach piece," the cantus firmus is the primary melody, and species is a long-haired term for classifying how many voices are introduced.

And who is being pretentious? :)

I would actually say that jazz musicians have an incredible amount of theory behind their playing, because there are a lot of different modes (variations on a scale) that fit with all the different chord inversions (different shapes of the same chord) they use.

You can play, understand and use pentatonic scales and seventh chords without following the rules of it >_>

Anywhoo, thanks both for the advice! Still working on the theory homework >.<

"just do what sounds good" is clouding my mind from understanding how to properly make music by rules and formulas.

I have never seen them as rules and formulas. I have always approached theory as a means of establishing common ground with other musicians. Communication, focus, play, .... helps get folks on the same page. Free to explore what "sounds good" ..... together.