Moving My Logic Productions Into Ableton For A Live Show

Guarch198

So after years of working with Logic my production is finally getting to the point where I legitimately enjoy what I make (a great feeling after teaching myself Logic and Synthesizing from scratch) and am trying to move into a more fluid live setup. Since Logic isn't great for this, I'm planning on using Ableton Live (only for performance not production) and have a few questions for anyone who's made this transition. If it helps, the music is a sort of Jazz-based Electronic that has a glitchy feel to it. It has an overtly dub-step sound in terms of production, but a more instrument-driven feel, with horns, guitars, pianos and strings along with synths. If you know Big Gigantic that's probably my main influence for this project.

I have a drummer who will have my sounds in his electronic kit, and he is (as of now) my only other collaborator. I want to stay away from pure clip launching and while clips will still be heavily involved the ability to solo and jam as a duo are crucial to our plans. I guess I'm just asking for general tips as well as any hardware suggestions to make this happen (my instruments are in my signature, and unless anyone has any sway against it I'm planning on an APC 40 for clip launching.)

Also if anyone knows of some good Ableton tutorials a link to them would be much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time and sorry this is so lengthy but a detailed post beats a vague one any day

Hey man,

I've been recently doing something similar, taking my breaks tunes from Logic and working out how to "play" them in Ableton. I've been using the drum racks feature in Ableton a lot - taking maybe the drum kit and various bass sounds from Logic and making up a performance drum rack that I can then play using my Akai MPD 18, along with clips running and live FX on a Korg Nanokontrol. I found a lot of useful information and free drum rack downloads from the DJ Tech Tools website, in particular their Ableton tutorials section (http://www.djtechtools.com/category/dj_techniques_tips/production-tips/live/)

I guess it comes down to deciding exactly what how and what you want to play in Ableton - that's the problem I'm having is there are so many options in Ableton for performance play that it can seem a bit daunting. One thing I might add is the midi clips overdub feature in Ableton can be pretty useful for live jamming.