Environment. Stop fader output being recorded. [SOLVED]

ninox_rufa

Anyone know why fader data (when you grab a fader with the mouse and move it) gets recorded (when record is on) into a midi region. I don't understand why it should happen even when a fader is NOT connected to the seq input.

More importantly anyone know how to stop it? I vaguely remember seeing this problem before and figuring out a solution but I could be wrong.

I'm using a meta fader to alter the parameter of a transformer which has midi flowing through it. I'm recording the result to a midi track. Problem is I can't stop the meta messages also being recorded even if I block them with another transformer in the signal path.

Edited to indicate solved.

Edited by ninox_rufa

Anyone know why fader data (when you grab a fader with the mouse and move it) gets recorded (when record is on) into a midi region. I don't understand why it should happen even when a fader is NOT connected to the seq input.

That's just the way it is:

You don’t need any special cabling to record the data generated by a fader. All data generated by faders is recorded on the selected track when Logic Pro is in record or record/pause mode.

Maybe there's a way to work around this...

J.

The fader's output won't be recorded to the track if you remote control it (with a MIDI controller).

If you're using the SUM port you'll have to filter whichever MIDI data you're using to control the fader.

If you have several MIDI controllers, you could choose one to serve a remote controller and just make a direct connection from its port in the physical input object straight to the fader.

J.

The only situation I can think of that will record a fader's movements without connecting that fader into the sequencer input is when that fader is assigned to a record enabled track.

The only situation I can think of that will record a fader's movements without connecting that fader into the sequencer input is when that fader is assigned to a record enabled track.

But David...if you create a fader object, press record, and move the fader with a mouse, the data will be recorded to the currently selected track. No cables, no track assignment.

J.

"Recording and Playback of Fader Movements

As with the channel strips in the Mixer, you can record fader object movements to tracks, and play them back.

Recording Fader Movements

You don’t need any special cabling to record the data generated by a fader. All data generated by faders is recorded on the selected track when Logic Pro is in record or record/pause mode."

So... does the fader movement get recorded outside of these conditions?

To clarify your situation... When you say you're recording the result to a MIDI track, does that mean you're recording the MIDI (as processed through the transformer) onto that track?

Yep.

The fader's output won't be recorded to the track if you remote control it (with a MIDI controller).

Ah yes! I have experienced this before. Reason I found a solution in the past is I used a midi controller. Away from home the other day and didn't have one. I was using environment faders to send messages I would usually send with a controller.

Problem solved...er... remembered. Thanks guys. It was worth it just to teach David a lesson anyway :)

To clarify your situation... When you say you're recording the result to a MIDI track, does that mean you're recording the MIDI (as processed through the transformer) onto that track?

Yep.

So you're looping the part back into Logic and recording it on a new track? Just curious as to how you're doing this.

It was worth it just to teach David a lesson anyway :)

Always :lol:

So you're looping the part back into Logic and recording it on a new track? Just curious as to how you're doing this.

Track 1 has a midi region (just notes) on it. It's cabled to transformers which add CC data according the notes received (e.g. each note triggers a random pan value). The transformers are cabled to the Seq Input. So any midi track that is record enabled in the Arrange will record the midi notes plus the data to new region.

But David...if you create a fader object, press record, and move the fader with a mouse, the data will be recorded to the currently selected track. No cables, no track assignment.

J.

Is this a feature or a bug? It appears to be more annoying than useful.