problems with importing wav files [SOLVED]

cleaverstudios

Hi, I received some files from a client for mixdown. They are all wav files 48khz, 24 bit. After importing them, upon playback they are totally distorted, sounding like a sampling/bit rate problem. After switching from 48 khz to 44, the distortion goes away, but there is a problem with the speed, everything slowed down. Anyone know what I'm missing? Thanks.

well, if you changed the samplefrequency in your Project Setting to 44.1 kHz, all samples will play at 44.1 kHz, meaning anything with a higher samplefrequency will sound lower. If you'd try putting in some 88.2 kHz samples, you'd notice that they are exactly one octave lower and twice as long. Same happens to you, only with a factor 48/44.1 = 1.08844

So, if you want 44.1 Khz as samplefrequency, you must see to it that every audio file in your project is also at 44.1 kHz - you need to convert them in the audio Bin first.

Thanks for the reply. I understand why the pitch is changing with the changing of the sample rates. I don't understand why I'm getting the bit distortion when I have the project in 48khz and the imported files are 48khz. This project is for video, so I want to keep it at 48. The only reason I mentioned 44khz is that it alleviated the distortion issue when I switched the sampling rate, but lowered the pitch.

Sorry for not adding my system info (see below). You were both right. When I switched to built in audio, the distortion went away. And when I switched back to the Saffire Pro, no distortion. Not sure why, but happy it worked. Thanks so much!

MacPro Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz/ 10.6 / Logic Pro 9.1.3 / Focusrite Saffire Pro 40