peak level doubts

hi everybody,

iv got a question for everyone that follows level metering.

i used 2 audio tracks and on each i put the tone generator and generated 500hz and 1khz at -12 db each . WHy is it that the peak meter on the stereo bus is showing me -6DBFS???????

can anyone explain please...its really freaking me out to know that i thought that the peaks showed me the loudest frequency...

thanks

At first when i thought i understood the master bus peak meter i always thought that in the mix when similar frequencies were present, they added and therby the stereo bus peak went up for which one would compensate by equing the clash frequency and bringing the peak down...but here the addieiton is occuring wiht frequencies that are not clashing at all so what am i seeing in that meter???

really

bbut one signal is 1khz at -12 db and the other is 500hz at -12 db...they are both sine waves ....how is my peak going to be 6 db higher???? i mean how do i mix now...im sooo sooo confused

Well if they were not periodic signal, just static voltages, and one of them was 1 volt, and the other one was 1 volt, and you summed them onto the same mix bus, you'd get 2 volts, right? Now picture two periodic signals and you have to sum their values at every time interval: sometimes they'll both be peaking at the same time therefore you'll have to sum their voltages. That's how the peak of the sum will be higher than the peak of each individual element.

At first when i thought i understood the master bus peak meter i always thought that in the mix when similar frequencies were present, they added and therby the stereo bus peak went up for which one would compensate by equing the clash frequency and bringing the peak down...but here the addieiton is occuring wiht frequencies that are not clashing at all so what am i seeing in that meter???

really

Your English is really hard to read, sorry - I have no idea what you mean here.

I'm not sure what you mean by "uncommon" frequencies.. but yes, audio signals do add up and the peak of the sum is typically going to raise as you sum more and more signals, even if they are unrelated, even if they are not periodic, for example if summing different noise sources, the peak of the sum will still be greater than each element being summed.