Write program changes for Onstage App?

DEVO

This app has been recommended to close and open up a new Logic file during a live set. I'm advised that I need to write a program change which i know nothing about.

I have logic full of midi files driving three live hardware synths and a drum machine. Does anyone know what I need to do in Logic to compliment this app? i.e. how do i write the progam chamge to say "close this track and open up track 2.

Not sure about which program changes you need for the Onstage App (I suppose the app's manual will tell you that). But to create a program change in Logic, select a MIDI region, open the Event List, click "Create" and click "Progr. Change". A program change event is created at the playhead position and you can enter its value in the Event List.

OnStage is very simple. Each OnStage file is a set of up to 20 slots, each one referencing one Logic file. It's like the file is a set list and each slot is a song.

You first create your songs (each song being a Logic file). After that, you create an OnStage file where you place one Logic file in each slot, numbered 1 to 20. It doesn't matter how big and complex that song (= Logic file) is, upon receiving a PC message with the value of 1, OnStage will tell Logic to openthe file thaat is on slot 1. PC=2, slot 2 and so on.

Now David, I never tried your approach. My PC messages are sent from the external midi controller. But it would be interesting to see if a message within a midi region could be re-routed so as to trigger a song change in OnStage. That would be the ultimate automation: song 1 would make itself close and open song 2. Never thought of it. Thanks. :)

(When I have a chance I'll try that and post back)

• 4 weeks later...