Ignore incoming MIDI data until it reaches a threshold

Forest Marchini

I have a KMI SoftStep foot-controller and the pads you step on are pressure-sensitive but they don't stay where you leave them, they just sort of squish and then return to 0 position when you take your foot off. Controlling any parameter like volume, an LFO speed, a wah, or a distortion's gain is not working very well because even though the parameter's dial stays where I leave it when I take my foot off, when I put my foot back on, the parameter jumps down to 1 before going up to wherever I want it to go depending on how hard I push down. I've spoken to the SoftStep people and they said that it can't be done with the software they provide and must be done in Logic. They also said it's easy in Ableton because there is a feature called "Takeover Mode" and when it's set to "pickup" it does exactly what I want. They had no idea how to do it with Logic though, so I'm worried. Help on this is greatly appreciated. I'm baffled that I can't find a forum or any info on this as the pedal is obviously worthless for expression control in Logic as it is right now!

Thank you guys very much, Forest

• 3 months later...

If you use the controller assignments feature in Logic (Logic Pro > Preferences > Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments) then it should behave exactly as you want it to behave: all MIDI data sent by your foot pedal will be ignored until the value sent by the foot pedal "catches" the current value of that parameter. To use the controller assignments, you can read my Quick Guide to using a MIDI controller with Logic. For more details, see the manual: Customizing Controller Assignments.

So let's say you have a parameter currently set to the value 65, and your foot pedal is sending 0, then 1, then 2 etc... until 65 .. those will be ignored. Then your foot pedal continues and sends 66, then 67, then 68 etc... which starts adjusting the parameter.