guitars too quiet and fuzz when turned up

mcgee2k2

I've been scrolling through threads looking for an answer, hoping that im not the only idiot with this problem... but it seems i am. i've recorded my guitars before, nothing special but they dont sound too bad. Now i've recorded multiple tracks for one guitar, used an impulse cab etc and got a nice tone. But compare to when i play a tune on itunes and play my guitars, they're noticeably more quiet; and here's the problem. no matter where i turn the gain up, whether its on the limiter, compressor or the pod farm; it gets a little fuzzy.

Is this just an EQ problem that i need to work on or am i missing something important? thanks for all the help in advance

obviously i can turn up my volume on my speakers and it'll sound louder and still sound ok, but other track are produced louder if u get me? but when i turn gains up in logic, i always get this fuzz, hiss sometimes; the higher i put the gain the more hiss i get throughout the recording. i dunno wat my problem is : (

Don't worry about loudness while you're tracking and mixing.

If you heavily compress electric guitar you will get hiss because you're raising the noise floor. Are you recording distorted guitar? That will always be noisy, no way around it. You can use a noise gate to cut the hum when you're not playing, or my approach is to strip-silence the audio regions.

Worry about getting it to sound good, not loud. Only use compression or limiting if that's the sound you want, not just to avoid turning your speakers up.

yes its distorted guitar, but i'm recording through logic so my recording is clean and sound perfect, but its the added distortion effects that are lacking. im also using an Exciter to brighten up the tone, without it my guitars sound like they're coming from next door and that also seems to effect the fuzziness. nething else i can use to brighten up the sound and make it sound more... there? its really doing my head in

Sounds like you've got a ton of plugs on it, I'd start simple and build up from there.

I don't know about podfarm and how to get it working well, sorry.

Basic things like high-impedance input, guitar volume pot all the way up for high-gain, then little tricks like EQ and/or compression before the amp sim to give it more "bite".