"Open" menu width problem

R_Rbnsn

Hey everybody,

This isn't a major problem but I've been having a niggly little issue with Logic for a while where when I go to open a file the left-most part of the menu is really wide. I've tried dragging it in to be smaller and put it where I want it, but as soon as I need to open another file later it has gone back to that column being large. This only seems to be the case in Logic, not in Finder or any other application.

Does anyone know how I can get it to stay where I want it? It's been driving me crazy for ages!

63873648_ScreenShot2012-11-25at15_41_42.thumb.jpg.0dd7580fbb6e84002b85396fdecd95f8.jpg

There is one thing you can try... but first, do you see the same 'size' when you try to save as too? ( I ask this because there is another possibility but try the following first..)

Anyhow.. drag the bar to correct the size and then save as a file..

Now reopen a file and if the size has not changed.... change the display type to the file view instead of the column view.. and try and save as again. Open and change back to column view again to test...

This seems to actually be a weird bug in OS X that often plagues different apps... Logic being one of them, without affecting other apps.. I had the same problem with FCPX and not with Logic.. Just FCPX... and fiddling back and forth with the sizing bar and changing from Column to File and back again, saving as each time, finally fixed it for me..

There is one thing you can try... but first, do you see the same 'size' when you try to save as too? ( I ask this because there is another possibility but try the following first..)

Anyhow.. drag the bar to correct the size and then save as a file..

Now reopen a file and if the size has not changed.... change the display type to the file view instead of the column view.. and try and save as again. Open and change back to column view again to test...

This seems to actually be a weird bug in OS X that often plagues different apps... Logic being one of them, without affecting other apps.. I had the same problem with FCPX and not with Logic.. Just FCPX... and fiddling back and forth with the sizing bar and changing from Column to File and back again, saving as each time, finally fixed it for me..

Just tried this and still doing the same :(... and yes it does do the same in "Save As" as well as "Open".

Which version of OS X do you use? 10.7?

Yes I'm running OSX 10.7.5 (Lion)

If you simply increase the size of the Open Dialog window by clicking and dragging in the bottom right hand corner.. and then press cancel... rather than open......... Does the dialog window remain the new size the next time you click on Open file.. or does it reset back to it's default size?

If you simply increase the size of the Open Dialog window by clicking and dragging in the bottom right hand corner.. and then press cancel... rather than open......... Does the dialog window remain the new size the next time you click on Open file.. or does it reset back to it's default size?

If I re-size the open dialog window and click cancel it remembers the new size of the window, but if I try and re-size the left hand column it still goes back to being wider than I'd like.

Well, I'm stumped them...

I'm wondering if there is a pref somewhere that needs to be deleted and then recreated.. but I cannot think of one that would only affect that dialog window in Logic and not everything else...

So..... have you tried "trashing" (move them to the desktop and let Logic recreate them) Logic's own prefs and see if that cures it?

From what I am reading in the Apple forums, it looks like it isn't a Logic issue at all but a Lion problem...

I suspect this is a Lion issue not a Logic issue. I have the same problem with MS Word (only it's worse there as it goes off screen and you can't get it back).

So unfortunately, trashing Logic's Prefs probably won't fix it... but you never know!

I also gather that a couple of people who reported this same or very similar bug, both found it was fixed in ML but so far, not in Lion....

So unfortunately, trashing Logic's Prefs probably won't fix it... but you never know!

Trashed the preferences today, no difference as predicted.

I do have the Mountain Lion installation on stand by (I qualified for a free upgrade) but haven't got around to taking the plunge yet as I was worried I wouldn't like it. If it fixes this niggling issue though it might tempt me to make the change over.