Using a Midi Controller to play at maximum velocity

Lippeth

So I'm making music for DOOM levels using General Midi, and I'm using an M-Audio Axiom 49 to perform takes. My goal is to play all of the notes at maximum velocity, and then tastefully reduce them later. The problem I'm having is that the only way to get the maximum velocity on my midi keyboard is to slam my fingers on the midi controller, resulting in poor performance and the risk of breaking something, but when playing comfortably the notes in Piano Roll are in the blue, green, and yellow areas which is much too quiet and inconsistent for what I'm trying to achieve. I know that I could just increase the velocity after the performance, but it would be so much more convenient to perform a take via midi controller and get immediate results (only red notes in piano roll). Another solution would be to just draw the notes in, but that defeats the purpose of a midi controller. Some may think, "Isn't dynamic velocity a GOOD thing?" Well, in this case no, because it's annoyingly quiet and inconsistent.

So to make a long story short, my question is: How can I perform General Midi at maximum velocity using my midi controller?

Prior to recording....You could use the Region Parameter Box to set velocity for all notes in a region or regions.. to maximum (or any other value you wish...)

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=13%26section=29%26tasks=true

or the Track Parameter Box (which is found below the Region Param Box by clicking on the small disclosure triangle) for everything you record on that track to increase to max velocity... as per this screenshot. Just scroll the value up to +99

1528636930_TrackParamBox.png.b5e8bd8411bdc71c1ce99e57412114e3.png

or after recording...use Transform to increase every note's velocity to max...

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/9.1.6/en/logicpro/usermanual/#chapter=26%26section=0

Prior to recording....You could use the Region Parameter Box to set velocity for all notes in a region or regions.. to maximum (or any other value you wish...)

This will only offset the velocity of notes in the region by the value specified.

or the Track Parameter Box (which is found below the Region Param Box by clicking on the small disclosure triangle) for everything you record on that track to increase to max velocity... as per this screenshot. Just scroll the value up to +99

The velocity parameter is just an offset, so "99" will be added to all incoming velocities. If the incoming velocities are not fixed (which they won't be in this case), the result won't be constant "full velocity" notes.

To do it right, you must do it in the MIDI Thru settings (seen at the top of the inspector when no region is selected...like in your pic, Nigel) by setting the Dynamics parameter to "Fixed" and then offsetting to the max with the velocity parameter. When you record, this settings will pass to the region, but will be applied real time on playback, like an effect, non-destructively (you'll see the notes in the piano roll won't be all red). To make the settings permanent on the recorded notes, you need to normalize the region parameters (MIDI > Region parameters > Normalize Region Parameters).

J.

Hi J..

Yes.. In the RPB.. I've always set Dynamics to fixed and increased Vel to max... I should have mentioned the Dynamics Param so my apologies..

However, In the TBP.. I've always thought that the +/- 99 referred to the percentage of added Vel.. and not to actual Vel values and offset (if that makes sense?) Going to have to play with that later and check it out... as it's been a while since I used the TPB to modify Vel...

Thanks for the heads up as always J....

Cheers..

J,

Heh.. yes! :) I can now hear it is an offset... once I actually sat down and experimented..

I do however, have a couple of followup questions for you J...if you have a moment?

Why is it a value of +/- 96 is used in the TPB Vel field... and not +/-99 as in the RPB... or even +/- 127?

I have never quite worked that one out along with... what is the default value used for the Fixed Vel (to which you can add +/- 99 in the RPB. Is it 64.. or is it a value that is based on the average Vel in that region for example?

Also.. while we are at it.. why +/- 99 in the RPB and not another figure like +/- 127 which would seem more obvious to use?

I'm trying to get my head around the purpose of what seems to be semi arbitrary numbers used... in those fields.. The 96 one is particular weird to me as a choice/limit given the actual range used......0-127

Any ideas?

Why is it a value of +/- 96 is used in the TPB Vel field... and not +/-99 as in the RPB... or even +/- 127?

It should be +/- 99, not +/- 96. I know what your talking about anyhow, I think it's some sort of bug or glitch. Last night I got the same (wouldn't go past 96) but now it's behaving as it should (99).

Why not +/- 127 (or 128)? I think it's because it's an offset. Adding or subtracting 99 should be more than enough.

I have never quite worked that one out along with... what is the default value used for the Fixed Vel (to which you can add +/- 99 in the RPB. Is it 64.. or is it a value that is based on the average Vel in that region for example?

It's 64.

J.