How do I "consolidate" all tracks?

Vid_Wegner

So the question is:

How do I get logic to insert silence to the beginning of all of my audio tracks so that they will all start at 1 1 1 1 when I want to export/save each track for use in other audio projects?

I believe this process is called consolidation in ProTools, but I don't know the equivalent for Logic.

So the question is:

How do I get logic to insert silence to the beginning of all of my audio tracks so that they will all start at 1 1 1 1 when I want to export/save each track for use in other audio projects?

I believe this process is called consolidation in ProTools, but I don't know the equivalent for Logic.

You should be able to make a blank region (at 1 1 1 1) with the Pencil tool on any tracks that don't start right at 1 1 1 1, then use Export All Tracks As Audio Files.

Thanks for that suggestion Matt, I'll definitely use it when I only have a few tracks in the project. Do you know any way to do it with straight software though? Lately I've been working with an average of 80-90 tracks per project and if possible I'd like to get around sitting and manually editing all of them.

You can use Export Track or Export All Tracks, but Export All also exports any hidden tracks. I prefer to use the Bounce-Replace All Tracks command (after saving the project first), which is really closer to the Pro Tools "Consolidate" command. This gives you the option of processing thru plugins and volume/pan if you want, or just bouncing the unprocessed audio. It also ignores hidden tracks. All three commands apply to the entire track(s), from the song-start to song-end indicators, so you don't have to worry about start points. The bounced files can then be easily imported into Pro Tools...

You have to be careful about mono/stereo when using these commands. If there's a mono-to-stereo plugin on the track's channel, Export Track, Export All and Bounce-Replace will create a stereo file for that track even if the plugins are bypassed.

Corrected 12/20/12.

Edited by ERO
  • Like 1

Thanks to ERO & emredjan. I just gave the Bounce/Replace a shot and as far as I can tell it worked everything out quite nicely. All tracks start at the right spot and nothing seems weird with them. I generally want them bounced with the effects on, so there's no worry there, but it's good to know I have the option.

As a follow up question, would anyone know offhand whether the bounce/replace function keeps my flex edits in place in the new track? It would be a bummer to find out later that it did not.

Thanks to ERO & emredjan. I just gave the Bounce/Replace a shot and as far as I can tell it worked everything out quite nicely. All tracks start at the right spot and nothing seems weird with them. I generally want them bounced with the effects on, so there's no worry there, but it's good to know I have the option.

As a follow up question, would anyone know offhand whether the bounce/replace function keeps my flex edits in place in the new track? It would be a bummer to find out later that it did not.

Glad you found an approach that works! If memory serves (not in front of Logic at the moment), bounce/replace "prints" the flex edits to the new file, so the new file will have the sound of the edits, but no Flex Time data. Can anyone confirm?

• 11 years later...
On 3/27/2024 at 12:09 PM, David Nahmani said:

Deselect Include Volume/Pan Automation and your mono tracks will produce mono audio files. 

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 12.08.37 PM.png

thx for this great info! 🙏🏻  I can now export my logic projects to pro tools seamesly 🙂

• Like 1