Logic template on a shared drive

barronimomusic

Hi.

I'm teaching music tech in a school with 27 standalone iMacs.

I don't have network access to each Mac, but I can put files onto a shared network drive, which can then be accessed by each student.

What I like to do is create templates, which each student can then save as their own. But I want to keep the template protected, so a student cannot make changes to it. Ideally they will open teh template and immediately be prompted to save. However, I do not want to have to go around each Mac individually and move the templates to the template folder.

Does anyone have a workaround for this problem?

Thanks

Dan B

feel free to check out my Logic for Beginners video channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BarronimoMusic?feature=mhee

Hi Dan,

AFAIK the only case where Logic automatically prompts you to save is when opening a template from the template folder.

I do not want to have to go around each Mac individually and move the templates to the template folder.

Do you have Apple Remote Desktop installed on the teacher machine? That would make the task much easier.

Otherwise you could save a template on your network drive and set the file's permissions in the Finder so that students cannot modify it. The students will not be automatically prompted to save their work but they won't be able to modify the template. In my opinion it's so important for your students to understand that the first thing they should do is save their work (before they even start working) that not having Logic prompt them to do so will force them to think about it by themselves - a good habit to have.

Thank you David,

I agree that the best habit forming approach is to not have to prompt the students. But when dealing with classes of 27, of extreme mixed ability, it's a losing battle, at least until they are 15 and actually choose music, rather than doing it compulsorily.

The file permission is the most obvious answer I think - I have done that before, but I totally forgot about it today!

Thanks

Dan